_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Good shot
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 06:10 AM UTC
A 1/35 diorama showing late war German infantry passing a knocked out Soviet vehicle.

easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC
awesome! love the blood lol
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 02:26 PM UTC
I gotta say, as cool as the figures and tank are, what I like the most is the building towering over the scene. Very cool work my friend.

-Conor
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A 1/35 diorama showing late war German infantry passing a knocked out Soviet vehicle...

Hello Gerry, I love overall layout and positioning of each elements. I just try to share about:

1. The blood of the unlucky Russian guy . I'm not too sure about this, but is the red color too bright? Recently, I have try to paint blood by using acrylic paint of vermilion. IMO, it may shows real color of blood. Or maybe you can mix between red and vermilion with proper portion among them.

2. I remember that one of my mate has told me that a little bit unusual when an SS infantry (they're with camouflage smocks) march together with regular Wehrmacht infantry. I assume so because there were no SS insignia or anything else indicate them as an SS member among the other troops with non-camouflaged smocks.

3. The guy with Panzershreck who also carrying his rifle with telescope should mainly indicates just one among his actual role: as a sniper or tank hunter. Somewhat irregular when a soldier functioned as a tank hunter also act as a sniper at the same time. Will it be better to remove the telescope?

4. Window frames with their broken glass. Many of them shows regular shape of triangle. You may modify them a little bit into various shape of cracks, maybe half broken, a-quarter-broken, broken in the center, etc.

CMIIW...

As usual, you always show dynamic and various composition of your project, especially for the figures' face shading, Russian vehicles, scattered ruins and debris. So cool! Hope that I can build Russian vehicle someday.

Best regards

Garry
bbyrnes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 04:42 PM UTC
Brilliant.

Brilliant Job. Many months of hard work?

Were the figures and tank destroyer mainly OOB builds? What kits did you use?

The building looks mainly scratch built, what materials methods did you use? Any lessons learnt or good tips you can pass on?

Awesome build. BRAVO
Phael_minis
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hey, this is amazing, figures and especially camouflage patterns are well painted. I love the building too.
The only thing, for me, is the color of blood, it's too red, I would add some brown filters on it, because blood quickly turns brownish when it's outside the body. Or maybe it's just the picture that makes it look that way.
ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 08:01 PM UTC
Congratulations! Very impressive diorama, especially the representation of the dead. The ruined environment is very realistic. Is it a Miniart base? Or your own job?

Regards

Antal
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 09:48 PM UTC
Gerry,
Man, you must spend all your time building. You pump these things out really fast. I really like this one. Lots of rubble. In addition to the other comments, the breech block on the tank would not have been painted white, it should be bare metal. Other than that, looks good. Keep up the good work!

Jesse
Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 10:36 PM UTC
Abomination!
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

awesome! love the blood lol

David

Thanks for looking and taking the time to leave a comment.

I have shown the blood on the dead Russian as it conveyes the horrors of war.

It is a bit red and I have toned it down a bit since I took the pictures.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I gotta say, as cool as the figures and tank are, what I like the most is the building towering over the scene. Very cool work my friend.

-Conor

Connor

Thanks for looking and taking the time to leave a comment.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 02:46 PM UTC
Gary

Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply.

I have read your comments with interest.

You are right about the blood and it is quite hard to get it just right I have done as you suggested and toned it down with some vermilion. Looks a bit darker.

The dio depicts a late war scene and by that time cammo smocks and suits were issued to non SS units including the hastily formed Volksgrenadier regiments.

The guy with the sniper rifle and panzerschreck is a jack of all trades of which I am sure there were many in the German army at this stage of the war.

I apprecistae what you have said about the window glass and will fix it in due course.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brilliant.

Brilliant Job. Many months of hard work?

Were the figures and tank destroyer mainly OOB builds? What kits did you use?

The building looks mainly scratch built, what materials methods did you use? Any lessons learnt or good tips you can pass on?

Awesome build. BRAVO

Ben

The figures are a mixture of Dragon and Tamiya. The building is a mini art kit, and the SU 76 I think was an Academy kit but I may be wrong.

The rubble and debris is a mixture of bought bricks and my own debris made out of breaking up diferent coloured bricks with a hammer until I get the right size.

The building was painted using acrylics and filters applied using oils.

Cheers

Gerry

gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, this is amazing, figures and especially camouflage patterns are well painted. I love the building too.
The only thing, for me, is the color of blood, it's too red, I would add some brown filters on it, because blood quickly turns brownish when it's outside the body. Or maybe it's just the picture that makes it look that way.

RaphaelB

I find it quite hard to get blood the right colour and it always comes out too red. I have done as you suggested and have toned it down with Vermilion. It does look a bit better now.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Congratulations! Very impressive diorama, especially the representation of the dead. The ruined environment is very realistic. Is it a Miniart base? Or your own job?

Regards

Antal

Antal

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

The buliding is a mini art kit but the rubble and base are my own creation.

Cheers

Gerry
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 03:01 PM UTC
Gerry, I notice that you've painted the smocks in the Pea Dot pattern which would say they were Waffen SS. The Wehrmacht used a completely different pattern for their overhead smocks and parkas. Also, (you're not going to like this) pea pattern was only used for the Panzer uniform and for the 1943 Drill pattern and 1944 herringbone uniform both of which were jacket and trousers. It was never used for smocks,parkas or winter over trousers
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gerry,
Man, you must spend all your time building. You pump these things out really fast. I really like this one. Lots of rubble. In addition to the other comments, the breech block on the tank would not have been painted white, it should be bare metal. Other than that, looks good. Keep up the good work!

Jesse

Jesse

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

I do spend a lot of time modeling and lose all track of time to the concternation of my good lady.

I have done as you suggested and have re done the breach block of the gun.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 03:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Abomination!

Gennadiy

Sorry I do not understand your comment?
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gerry, I notice that you've painted the smocks in the Pea Dot pattern which would say they were Waffen SS. The Wehrmacht used a completely different pattern for their overhead smocks and parkas. Also, (you're not going to like this) pea pattern was only used for the Panzer uniform and for the 1943 Drill pattern and 1944 herringbone uniform both of which were jacket and trousers. It was never used for smocks,parkas or winter over trousers

Karl

I was not aware of those facts and find it quite interesting.

Cheers

Gerry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 05:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The dio depicts a late war scene and by that time cammo smocks and suits were issued to non SS units including the hastily formed Volksgrenadier regiments.

The guy with the sniper rifle and panzerschreck is a jack of all trades of which I am sure there were many in the German army at this stage of the war...

Whoaa! Another useful info for me, thanks also! Do you know? When I create one of my project that consist of mixed composition between German soldiers with camouflaged smoke and the others not, a friend of mine criticized that somewhat unusual for such composition.

After that, can you guess? Just to comply with my friend criticsm, I blindly transform almost all soldiers without camouflage smocks into being camouflaged just to visualize them as SS squads, because I think logically so and also, I have no adequate historical bases at that time I was being questioned

Thanks also for the re-comment and historical logic related to the sniper soldaten carrying the Panzershreck, I note a lot. If so, just one word again: have a nice modelling time again, keep up your stunning work and don't forget to share your future work (I believe you sure!)

Cheers

Garry
ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Abomination!

Gennadiy

I think that his nationality is the explanation.
Sorry for

Regards

Antal
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Abomination!

Gennadiy

I think that his nationality is the explanation.
Sorry for

Regards

Antal

Antal

Thanks for that.

It still seems a bit strange.

Cheers

Gerry
Kira_Yamato
Visit this Community
Hanoi, Vietnam
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 10:48 PM UTC
nice dio,man.I love the scene but you should use dark red brown or smt else for the blood,it will be more realistic
Cheers
Kira,
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

nice dio,man.I love the scene but you should use dark red brown or smt else for the blood,it will be more realistic
Cheers
Kira,

Kira

Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

I have toned the colour of the blood down a bit since I took the pictures.

Cheers

Gerry
 _GOTOTOP