Revell MAN 4x4 5 ton truck request for info
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi, all!

At this moment I am building the Revell 5 ton MAN truck in a UN version.
The truck has a fascinating design. If one takes the trouble to fill all sink holes in the parts and uses the Eduard etch set ( the 6x6 set is the only one available, but fllfills the requirements since the 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 have the same frame design and cabin) as well as the Real Model resin wheel set, a very acceptable add to your truck will be the result.
Now I am looking for the wiring and brake lines. Also, I have seen a picture where hydraulics / electric wiring come from the engine compartment.
Is somebody able to show me some pictures of the engine compartment and the brake system at the frame, please?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Furthermore: if anyone from Revell reads this item:
Please, consider to update the MAN series and re-issue them again!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

I hardly doubt that Revell will rework anything that they once released. I know the manager for military model at Revell and he told me that reworking such a kit will not be pay off. Revells main target group is the "ordinary" modeller who want a cheap kit of any kind and not the specialized freak who rebuilds any rivet.
Sad but true.

Hans-Hermann
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Paul,

I hardly doubt that Revell will rework anything that they once released. I know the manager for military model at Revell and he told me that reworking such a kit will not be pay off. Revells main target group is the "ordinary" modeller who want a cheap kit of any kind and not the specialized freak who rebuilds any rivet.
Sad but true.

Hans-Hermann

So we are freaks who rebuild every rivet!

No, that will be done with the help of Real Model and Eduard etch amongst others.
I understand Revell's commercial perspective, though a higher standard would certainly increase turn-over.
But why on earth are Revell models so hard to get. What is the reason to sell popular models only during a small number of years??
Try to convince him to upgrade the crane of the 8x8 and ' just' re-issue the rest!

Thanks!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC
If you need an inproved crane for the 10 ton truck, wait for the upcoming release from MR Modellbau.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 07:06 AM UTC
You seem to know everybody!
But why are they investing in a new crane if the basic Revell truck can not be found anywhere? I looked for the 4x4 for several years and found just one on www.marktplaats.nl.
Or is Revell...........
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
Have you checked Modellbau König in Delmenhorst. They managed Revell to release the MAN 10 ton and some other Revell kit for a fair price.
http://www.modellbau-koenig.de
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hi Paul

No engine compartment pics, but what about the engine itself ?

KHD/Deutz BF8L413F engine

H.P.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 09:24 AM UTC
Cher Henri-Pierre,

Merci for the link. The ' engine' in the Revell model doesn't come close to the engine on the link. Revell just made a block and some curved parts. Only with a lot of phantasy one can call it an engine.
Not too much of problem since the openings are hidden behind the spare wheel and the cargo box. However, at the left side, some hoses (?) do go down to the frame. That is what I want to depict. Also, I have no clear idea how the brake hydraulics run in the frame work and to the wheel hubs. There are, however, two air presure cillinders on the frame.
Though the MAN series are quite widely used in the Bundesweer, hardly any photos of these items are on the web. Maybe just too ordinary to photograph???

The more I search the internet for the Revell MAN types, the more it becomes clear that the trucks from Revell haven't been very popular.
Or am I wong?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Though the MAN series are quite widely used in the Bundesweer, hardly any photos of these items are on the web.

You're welcome Paul

You probably already know about the walkarounds on Panzer-Modell.de or Model Armour.com..

H.P.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 04:40 AM UTC
Dear Henri-Pierre,
Very helpfull tip, those sites.
Problem solved. Now I can make a better looking MAN!
Today my Real Model wheels arrived, (Thanks, Miloslav!) so nothing can spoil my coming weekend and the days thereafter. (Unless the lady of the house has some tasks to do! )

While working on some sub parts, I found out the hard way that using white is not so simple to color your model. The base was a very light grey, mat Motip car primer, which creates very a very thin layer without loosing any detail of, e.g., the Eduard etch board handles and fine chains on the cargo box.

But since I tried (without any success) to kick off an Armorama UN campaign, I just wanted to proof myself that a lifelike UN model was possible. So, within a few weeks, the UN will be on guard in my collection.
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, all!

At this moment I am building the Revell 5 ton MAN truck in a UN version.
The truck has a fascinating design. If one takes the trouble to fill all sink holes in the parts and uses the Eduard etch set ( the 6x6 set is the only one available, but fllfills the requirements since the 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 have the same frame design and cabin) as well as the Real Model resin wheel set, a very acceptable add to your truck will be the result.
Now I am looking for the wiring and brake lines. Also, I have seen a picture where hydraulics / electric wiring come from the engine compartment.
Is somebody able to show me some pictures of the engine compartment and the brake system at the frame, please?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Furthermore: if anyone from Revell reads this item:
Please, consider to update the MAN series and re-issue them again!

If anyone from Revell reads this item, please issue the 4x4 MAN in 1/72 scale!

Chris
 _GOTOTOP