_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
1/35 Dragon Su-100
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC
So I decided to build this one over summer just for fun and to try out some new weathering products, I wasn't satisfied with the paint job so I had one option - winterwash.
Currently I'm applying the chipping, which will be followed by a gloss coat, wash and other weathering. Hope you like it.

That's it folks, my first try on winterwash. All comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Kind regards,Sven.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 01:17 PM UTC
You're paint job actually wasn't bad, and it would have looked just fine with some advanced weathering techniques over the green. I have to admit that I'm a fan of white military vehicles and I have a soft spot for whitewash. One quick thought, the tracks wouldn't retain the whitewash both because their rusted and dirty surface provides a poor surface for paint adhesion and because they are in constant contact with the ground and tires where friction rubs it off. The same applies with the tires both because of friction and because rubber just doesn't accept paint well, but the whitewash can remain on the sidewalls for a short time. Just remember rust and rubber are not friendly to paint The rest of your whitewash is really good, it's applied over everything indiscriminately which is pretty much what they did. A lot of modelers leave small details unwashed to provide contrast for visual interest, but it's less accurate when they do that.
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You're paint job actually wasn't bad, and it would have looked just fine with some advanced weathering techniques over the green. I have to admit that I'm a fan of white military vehicles and I have a soft spot for whitewash. One quick thought, the tracks wouldn't retain the whitewash both because their rusted and dirty surface provides a poor surface for paint adhesion and because they are in constant contact with the ground and tires where friction rubs it off. The same applies with the tires both because of friction and because rubber just doesn't accept paint well, but the whitewash can remain on the sidewalls for a short time. Just remember rust and rubber are not friendly to paint The rest of your whitewash is really good, it's applied over everything indiscriminately which is pretty much what they did. A lot of modelers leave small details unwashed to provide contrast for visual interest, but it's less accurate when they do that.

Thank you very much for the comment Jeremy.

I think there was too much of a contrast between the paints, as you said it's possible to blend those in with some advanced weathering. Unfortunately I'm still learning so that would be a little too much for me. Thanks for the part about tracks and rubber, maybe you can see that I removed most of the winterwash from rubber parts of the wheels, but I will remove more both here and on tracks.

Thanks again, Sven.
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 09:19 AM UTC
Anybody else has some comments or suggestions. All are more then welcome. I hope to put clear coat on this one tomorrow.

Kind regards, Sven.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 09:32 AM UTC
Anytime Sven And you're actually not as far behind as you think on your color modulation. A lot of pros have very vivid contrast after their color modulation painting is complete, and the weathering and filters tie the modulated colors together and the contrast becomes very natural.

As far as your build goes, I'd just leave it the way it is and apply your clearcoat. Then you can mix up some "wet" or "heavy" snow and apply it to the tracks and wheels.
 _GOTOTOP