_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Is his head too big?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 09:48 PM UTC
Just put a resin head on a Tristar figure and want know if it looks too big for the body?

I may be wrong but Tristar figs look a little smaller in scale than most 1/35 scale figures.

Thanks
Karl
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:06 PM UTC
I think the different colours make it look worse than it is...painted up it won't look so bad and remember some people do have big heads...I know I do...try getting sunglasses to fit me!
Dannyd
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:07 PM UTC
I'd give it a quick spray with primer, to me it looks usable
but because it's two colours the head stands out more.

I think you'll be okay once painted.

Dan
Zaaphod
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:16 PM UTC
Maybe this will help:

I draw a bit and I know that head of a mature men is about 1/8 of a body height. Measure it, use some calculator and you will see.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hi

Yes, I would say too big.

It looks to be from the Tank range of resin figures, heads and accessories. Their figures to me are on the larger side of 1/35th scale, much like the figures available from Miniart created by the same sculptor I believe.

Conversely the Tristar figures seem to go towards the smaller side of 1/35th scale.

I'd recommend trying a Hornet head or even a spare Alpine Miniatures one if you have it available.

Certainly in my opinion the current head looks too large for the body even given some peoples heads are larger than others.

Alan
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 11:35 PM UTC
Yep too big. Alan is right I remember trying a Tank head on a tristar figure and it looked like one of Goya's "Horrors of war" monsters.

Hornet fit Tristar and Alpine would be good too as Alan says
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hi

Yours is the righthand side image, whilst the one on the left is my reduced head sized copy. Still on the largish side but shows how yours looks compared to it. Reduced by about 10% - 15%.

Alan
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 12:15 AM UTC
Yup!! That noggin is too too big man.
J
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 01:15 AM UTC
Agree with the comments above - i.e Too Big.

I have used "HORNET" & "ALPINE MINS" heads with Tristar 1/35 figs in the past and they are just fine. Some of the Russian produced resin figs in 1/35 such as TANK and EVOLUTION whilst superb, are slightly on the larger side of 1/35. Also, VERLINDEN's 1/35 figs also tend to be bigger than some of the more recent producers of 1/35 figs.

That said, some of the Far East producers (probably?) scale theirs to people in that region who tend to be shorter in stature than Europeans so can look a tad 'delicate' when compared alongside with the above ranges.

Bottom line, use the two head options mentioned above with Tristar I.M. 1/35 figs. and you will be fine.

Gary
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 01:32 AM UTC
I sprayed him with some primer and think it looks a bit better

I do agree that tank heads are a fraction over scale compared
to some,I only have the cold weather german Hornet heads and did not want to spend any more dosh just to get one head

Thanks for all who replied and giving there time to give me advice

Karl
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 07:21 AM UTC
Still looks too big but as long as you're happy. The other problem is that it is - as far as I can see a waffen SS cap and the the Tanker's uniform is Wehrmacht.

And the seam line on the right arm is still very visible
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still looks too big but as long as you're happy. The other problem is that it is - as far as I can see a waffen SS cap and the the Tanker's uniform is Wehrmacht.

And the seam line on the right arm is still very visible

Going to buy some Hornet heads.What would be the correct head gear to go with his uniform?I did not want to use the original Tristar head as it has the early panzer beret and the panzer II am doing was in Stalingrad 1942.

Thanks Pat
Regards
Karl
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi, guys,

Just remember that in the past tall men were not the most likely category to choose from for AFV services.
Even today in my army, small cavalerie (tank) troopers were nick named " AMX-size people", due to the fact that only small people (read: on the lowest level of size tolerances)were able to fit in the cramped room of the C&V AFV's, the AMX13 and the AMX infantery version.

So, at the end of the day, small figures should be more likely than tall figures in an WW2 armored vehicle.

Today, AFV's are build around modern men's size standards. Therefore e.g., the Dutch CV90 has larger dimensions than the original Swedish one, as an example.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Going to buy some Hornet heads.What would be the correct head gear to go with his uniform?I did not want to use the original Tristar head as it has the early panzer beret and the panzer II am doing was in Stalingrad 1942.

Thanks Pat
Regards
Karl

HGH18 would be my choice.
 _GOTOTOP