_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Help him
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 12:25 PM UTC
A 1/35 vignette of a German medic going to the aid of a wounded comrade.

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 08:22 PM UTC
Absolutely amazing...you produce vignettes at an incredible rate...and they get better and better!!!

Top marks for the composition, great painting and attention to detail. Chipping on the medic's helmet just perfect, rubble and debris realistic and colours matching perfectly too...wow!!!

If you just allow me (I tend to be a nuisance, I know)....there are a couple of points that I'd care to mention:

first...(yet again, sorry) the metal parts on the rifle..!! Better paint them black and highlight them just a little. NMM is certainly to be considered when it comes to such small bits.

second....I would personally paint the wounded guy's face a lot paler and more greyish. Moreover, he would be sweating with the shock.

The guy kneeling was taught to press "anything available" on the wound, in order to prevent all the blood from running out...so why isn't he doing just that??

Just kidding!!

Oh yes, and make sure the red crosses are sewn on, not painted! because if they are, the black lining would not be appropriate. But even if they are, you must be careful about the width of the lining. In real life all these things are 35 times bigger..!!

IMHO you are about to enter the next detail level, i.e. straps and leatherwork from lead foil o.s., etc.

A lot of fun too!!

Keep us entertained (sure you will! )

Cheers

Romain
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Absolutely amazing...you produce vignettes at an incredible rate...and they get better and better!!!

Top marks for the composition, great painting and attention to detail. Chipping on the medic's helmet just perfect, rubble and debris realistic and colours matching perfectly too...wow!!!

If you just allow me (I tend to be a nuisance, I know)....there are a couple of points that I'd care to mention:

first...(yet again, sorry) the metal parts on the rifle..!! Better paint them black and highlight them just a little. NMM is certainly to be considered when it comes to such small bits.

second....I would personally paint the wounded guy's face a lot paler and more greyish. Moreover, he would be sweating with the shock.

The guy kneeling was taught to press "anything available" on the wound, in order to prevent all the blood from running out...so why isn't he doing just that??

Just kidding!!

Oh yes, and make sure the red crosses are sewn on, not painted! because if they are, the black lining would not be appropriate. But even if they are, you must be careful about the width of the lining. In real life all these things are 35 times bigger..!!

IMHO you are about to enter the next detail level, i.e. straps and leatherwork from lead foil o.s., etc.

A lot of fun too!!

Keep us entertained (sure you will! )

Cheers

Romain

Romain

Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

The way I do weapons is to paint the metal parts black and give them a light dry brush with gun metal.

I may be too heavy on the metal drybrushing?

I tried painting the wounded guy a bit paler but it looked a bit strange and I couldn't get the sweat beads on his brow small enough using clear resin.

I look forward to your constructive criticism as it helps a lot to have a fresh pair of eyes looking at the job.

Cheers

Gerry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 08:22 AM UTC

Hi Gerry,

you are most welcome m8!
For sweat I try to rely on gloss varnish brushed on.
For a paler tone you need to change your palette, i.e. take a totally different base tone and leave it to white and a dark colour (even black sometimes) mixed in for the highlights/shadows.

Maybe you can try it on a spare figure!?

Good luck

Cheers

Romain
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi Gerry!
I would like to agree with the previous comments. You have a nice knack for creating reality to scale. My one negative is also about the Red Cross symbol portrayal. Yes,the black sewn border on the cloth is too heavy,could be a 'not too hard' correction.However, the crosses on the helmet are probably wrong. No border outline and I'm pretty sure maybe only smallish ones on the front and sides.Just haven't seen any pictorial evidence that connects to the way you have it. Hope I'm wrong, but if not then this looks like an easy fix.
Still, this is a pretty well done scene!
Cheers!
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 - 01:31 AM UTC
Gerry! When do you sleep? You just keep pumping these things out. Other than the blood being a little too bright, I like it. Every time you show a new scene, your techniques get better and better. Keep up the good work.

Jesse
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gerry! When do you sleep? You just keep pumping these things out. Other than the blood being a little too bright, I like it. Every time you show a new scene, your techniques get better and better. Keep up the good work.

Jesse

Jesse

Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 - 02:32 PM UTC
Hi Gerry,

Excellent groundwork! A stunning overall diorama.

I have nothing to add to others' constructive critique although I'll tell you that the expression of the wounded man looks very convincing: resigned pain.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gerry,

Excellent groundwork! A stunning overall diorama.

I have nothing to add to others' constructive critique although I'll tell you that the expression of the wounded man looks very convincing: resigned pain.

Frederick

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC
That's a pretty nasty sized hole in his abdomen. Anything with an entry hole that size would take out most of his innards while leaving. In future dio's make the hole smaller, and instead of just drilling a hole, try making the edges of the uniform (around the hole) ragged. You could try a tiny patch of tissue paper on the wound area, work the edges into the uniform until they are not noticeable, and then tear up with a needle point where the actual hole is. Blood, when soaked into fabric, especially dark colored fabric, appears very dark - almost black. When the blood re-appears, ie dripping down an arm, hand. etc., it is normal blood color.
Great concept on your mini-dios/vignettes!
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a pretty nasty sized hole in his abdomen. Anything with an entry hole that size would take out most of his innards while leaving. In future dio's make the hole smaller, and instead of just drilling a hole, try making the edges of the uniform (around the hole) ragged. You could try a tiny patch of tissue paper on the wound area, work the edges into the uniform until they are not noticeable, and then tear up with a needle point where the actual hole is. Blood, when soaked into fabric, especially dark colored fabric, appears very dark - almost black. When the blood re-appears, ie dripping down an arm, hand. etc., it is normal blood color.
Great concept on your mini-dios/vignettes!

Biggles 2

Thanks for that tip. I will be trying that out on a future project.

Cheers

Gerry
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 09:35 AM UTC
awesome.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

awesome.

David

Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC
What Biggles said.
Remember, the bullet was probably .3 or .45 inches in diameter where it entered. Scaled down, that would be less than .015 inches. As an entry would it will create minimal shredding of the fabric.
Agreed with Biggles as well on the blood. Only Sam Peckinpah imagined blood on dark fabric that red. Alizarin Crimson, a standard oil color, not Donovan's song, would be as bright as you'd want to go. Even on the hands, I'd tone it down significantly.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What Biggles said.
Remember, the bullet was probably .3 or .45 inches in diameter where it entered. Scaled down, that would be less than .015 inches. As an entry would it will create minimal shredding of the fabric.
Agreed with Biggles as well on the blood. Only Sam Peckinpah imagined blood on dark fabric that red. Alizarin Crimson, a standard oil color, not Donovan's song, would be as bright as you'd want to go. Even on the hands, I'd tone it down significantly.

Al

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

I take on board your advice and am learning every day.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
 _GOTOTOP