_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Mixing 1/32 & 1/35th in a diorama ?
frogman_13
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC
I wanted to ask what other scale modelers think about mixing the 2 scales in the same diorama. I had an idea to create a scenario with a small armored vehicle (M113) on a road and the tail section of an aircraft (Trumpeter MiG-17) laying alongside the road.
To my eyes the tail (in 32nd scale)looks too large. I checked some wartime photos though and actually they are rather large compared to a typical human being. So really I'd like to hear some feedback before I commit to this.
Thanks,
ED OKUN
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hi Ed!
From what has been discussed of this in the past on Armorama and other boards is that the scales can be mixed under certain uses. The differance between the scales is about 9%. OK because there is that kind of differance in the actual size of people.Usually it seems to be better to have the larger scale figure not too close or numerous with the smaller scale population. The larger scale figure should have kit and weapons in the smaller scale.
Aircraft and armor mix usually works out along the same lines as figures (distance/proximity and personal kit/weapons).
Hope this helps!
Rick
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC
It can work just fine and I have done it often with 1/32 aircraft and 1/35 vehicles and figures.

To what has been stated above, I will add that I am on the other side of the fence when it comes to mixing 1/32 and 1/35 figures. I do believe that people can vary is size greatly. Using a 1/32 figure together with a 1/35 figure shows this well. The key is keeping constantly sized items (weapons, ammo cans, canteens, etc.) in the same scale. This maintains a constant and allows the viewer to see that the individual soldier is just a big guy.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It can work just fine and I have done it often with 1/32 aircraft and 1/35 vehicles and figures.

To what has been stated above, I will add that I am on the other side of the fence when it comes to mixing 1/32 and 1/35 figures. I do believe that people can vary is size greatly. Using a 1/32 figure together with a 1/35 figure shows this well. The key is keeping constantly sized items (weapons, ammo cans, canteens, etc.) in the same scale. This maintains a constant and allows the viewer to see that the individual soldier is just a big guy.

I've tried it and that last piece of advice is gold. Keep the common equipment in one scale (I'd go with 1/35) and you can even mix the figures up with some success. If the rifles are in different scales it will really jump out at you in my experience.
 _GOTOTOP