_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cyber Hobby Tiger I Early Version 1/35
brucca111
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 02:05 AM UTC
Good morning everyone. I often visit this site by havent posted anything in a long time. I took a break from modelling but now i'm back and very excited to try new techniques that have been developed over the past couple of years.

Here is my Tiger I of the s.PzAbt 502. Base coat and modulation completed, next comes satin coat, filters, washes, chipping and streaks.

please feel free to comment

http://bruccanyc.blogspot.com/
[
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi!

The Tiger looks nice - I'm always nearly overwhelmed by seeing these big kitty kits built (have a few - never completed one yet! ) and love the details that appear on them!

I do have a question, though...

I'm unsure, but is your early Tiger looks like it is painted in dunkelgelb as a base? Or is this a trick of photo-lighting?

I'll hope not in dunkelgelb! Best I know, NO Tiger I was actually painted in dunkelgelb (RAL 7028) before 1943 - the color may not actually have been in any pipe-line prior to FEB 1943 and German paint regs posited "gray, gray, or should we say it, gray" for all European-used vehicles from JUL 1940 to MAR 1943. The exception being those vehicles slated for shipment directly to north Africa - which were painted in tropen colors from mid-1941 through early 1943. (Note that some of these tropen-painted tanks actually ended up being sent to Russia instead of Africa, and appeared in south Russia in 1942 - but these were in that sand or gelbbraun / grungrau tropen scheme - not any dunkelgelb. And of course some tropen vehicles ended up in Italy as they never sailed across the Med in 1943.)

My understanding is that the early Tigers of s. PzAbt. 502, active around Leningrad in 1942 were all based-coated in dunkelgrau and some received over-paint with whitewash or white?

Looking forward to seeing this kitty complete!

Bob
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
What type of side mudguards did you use? They look like the bent-line type...

David
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 03:24 AM UTC
Excellent example of 'modulation', and great airbrush control, but as Panzerbob01 points out, the color may be questionable.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 03:34 AM UTC
That is a March 1943 Tiger.

David
Villiers
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hello Nicholas,
Right colour or wrong colour, it remains an amazing paint and finish job. I am looking forward to follow your progress.
Best regards,
Villiers
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a March 1943 Tiger.

David

OIC! Fresh off the assembly line and just in time for Kursk. I'm probably wrong in this, but when the S mines were fitted to the turret weren't they deleted from the hull mounting at the same time?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC
To Nicholas: I hope you don't go wild with chipping, etc. as your build is perfect and without any signs of apparent wear or damage. Your shading and modulation is so well done it makes your pics look more like well done CAD drawings!
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 03:48 AM UTC
S mines were never fitted to the turret. Those are smoke canister launchers.

David
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:07 AM UTC
Are the commanders hatch and loaders hatch glued down?
Would like to know what you have planned on what vehicle your are doing,turret number.

Karl
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David

I may be confusing S mines with smoke canisters. What were the launchers on the four corners of the hull? I thought they were the same launchers later moved to the turret sides. (I told you I would probably be wrong, but at least I'm being schooled by someone who knows his Tigers!)
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

I may be confusing S mines with smoke canisters. What were the launchers on the four corners of the hull? I thought they were the same launchers later moved to the turret sides. (I told you I would probably be wrong, but at least I'm being schooled by someone who knows his Tigers!)

I think S-mine launchers fired a sort of frag mine to clear off any close infantry.Smoke canisters fired smoke to conceal the tiger if it needed a quick get away.
I may be wrong but at least thats what I thought.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 06:09 PM UTC
Karl's correct. The smoke canisters were put on Tigers even before the S-mines, and they were taken off before the S-mines.

David
JSoltoft
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 06:14 PM UTC
Welcome back and compliments on a fantastic job on your Tiger.
- Johan
brucca111
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What type of side mudguards did you use? They look like the bent-line type...

David

Thanks for looking David. They are the ones provided in the kit. They are straight, the paint job may make them appear to be bent.
Nicholas
brucca111
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 09:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome back and compliments on a fantastic job on your Tiger.
- Johan

Thank you very much Johan
Nicholas
brucca111
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would like to know what you have planned on what vehicle your are doing,turret number.

Karl

Thanks for looking Karl. The hatches are not glued down yet. I havent made up my mind if I want it open or closed. Poll anyone? lol. I am doing Tiger #131 of the 502 circa June 1943 as described by the kits instructions.
Nick
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Karl

Thanks for looking Karl. The hatches are not glued down yet. I havent made up my mind if I want it open or closed. Poll anyone? lol. I am doing Tiger #131 of the 502 circa June 1943 as described by the kits instructions.
Nick

I only asked as it looks like you will have the drivers/radio op hatches ready to be left open.
Just finished putting a coat of primer to the same kit and its a great kit.
Keep up the good work
brucca111
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC
I just keep on trucking! Wheels attached for now, decal added, filters and wash done. Next up? fading, highlighting and detailed painting (the tools)

Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.
Nicholas

Villiers
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 03:54 PM UTC
Nicholas,
Your airbrush work, especially the monochrome finish, is outstanding. I also like the subtle grime on the road wheels.
Best regards,
Villiers
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 06:28 PM UTC
Looking good Nicholas.
Tell me how you painted the rubber on the road wheels they look really neat,did you paint them free hand or use a wheel mask.

You might want to use a darker background when taking pictures as this will make your model stand out more.

Keep it up

Karl
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just keep on trucking! Wheels attached for now, decal added, filters and wash done. Next up? fading, highlighting and detailed painting (the tools)

Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.
Nicholas

Hi! Very nice job on your monochromatic Tiger I!!! With the same kind of spraying modulation, I think that some of the modellers who maintain that US/ALLIED AFVs and Softskins are "too dull" visually, should give this technique a little bit more consideration. You'd be surprised how many different nuances of color can be achieved with OLIVE DRAB, BRONZE GREEN, KHAKI, and 4BO GREEN... PANZERGRAU, of course, also benefits greatly by using modulation and post-shading.

I always use modulation, post-shading, and weathering powders to enhance shadowing effects. I like to use a little bit of subtle dry-brushing, and pin-washes in certain places. I'm not too crazy about washes, filters and heavy mud or road dirt, as I don't like excessive weathering- I like to build my stuff as sort of "basic representation" pieces, rather than in "battlefield" guise. I just hate the thought of covering up all the beautiful detail of today's kits, plus all the extra PE, resin and some scratch-built detailing that I like to add to my models. I don't build dios, so all the extra mud and gunk really isn't necessary for my style. I DO however, respect and admire the models that are built by all you other guys that do such great work with your weathering techniques!

brucca111, you certainly did a nice job!!! MODEL ON!!!
Enigma1
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC
I just hope I can someday acquire a small bit of your talent Glad summer is almost over with it will be the end of the more honey do's
brucca111
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Nicholas.
Tell me how you painted the rubber on the road wheels they look really neat,did you paint them free hand or use a wheel mask.

You might want to use a darker background when taking pictures as this will make your model stand out more.

Keep it up

Karl

Thanks Karl. The wheels were first sprayed black, then, using a circle shaped artist stencil I sprayed only the rims with a tamiya white/dark yellow color mix. So easy and simple.
Just the way I like it.
Nicholas
brucca111
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 12:58 PM UTC
The Tiger is completed. took me a while to post, summer vacation is over so back to work I go.
 photo IMG_2528.jpg

photo IMG_2537.jpg

photo IMG_2536.jpg

photo IMG_2542.jpg

photo IMG_2535.jpg

photo IMG_2538.jpg

photo IMG_2539.jpg

photo IMG_2541.jpg
http://bruccanyc.blogspot.com/
 _GOTOTOP