_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Coverup-Envar-Trench Override #2 -pics!
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hi all,

Finally some progress shots! My theme pretty much went to the direction of Winter War (snow again!) and I have some basic groundwork and tank painting done.
The BT-7 has matt black primer underneath, over that a layer of russian green acrylic and over that, some drybrushing with light olive. Then I applied some rust stains and other details with oil washes. I havenīt done any actual weathering yet.
Practically the whole vehicle will be covered with snow, so I wasnīt too picky about the details that will be covered anyway. Now Iīm just wondering whether I should give the tank white winter camo, the sort of field-applied, or just stick with the green.

Any comments are welcome!

And the groundwork look Iīm after:

Cheers,
Toni
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 09:44 PM UTC
Ola Toni

That`s coming along very nice. I like the suggestion of action this dio shows. The Carriage of the tank delivers a lot to that by following the groundworks. That is the Italeri/zvezda tank right?? I have that thing too somewhere in a dark corner of my modeling room as the kit was quite bad (in my opinion) The fit was overall bad and there were big gaps everywhere plus a numerous amount of warped parts. What was your experience with the kit??
Further I really like the visualisation you made nice job. Gives a good view of the total scene.

Keep us updated

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 10:52 PM UTC
Looks like the start of yet another great dio. Toni keep it up and more Pics please. (++) (:-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:45 PM UTC
looking veru good again Toni. Haven't seen you for some time...glad you spent your time during your absence on building

Very convincing BT7 !! I love the delicate touches of rust here and there..beautifull !
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC
i believe that you have done a very good work on the tank so maybe is better not to wintercamo it!! leave this beauty stand like it is !!! And the whole dio shows is going a very good way !!!!!! keep like this buddy and we re waiting for the finished stuff !!!!!
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 08:14 PM UTC
Groundwork update!
The Winter War trench got a layer of wall putty mixed with white acrylic paint on it. When it was dry I drybrushed the whole scene with matt white. Then hairspray and food soda, voila!
Itīs quite close to the Photoshop sketch in the previous post...
There will be snow on the vehicle too, and no real weathering has been done. I started to work on those tracks and it turns out to work with the kitīs own tracks despite of some difficulties. Iīll also put a few tree branches over the exhaust grill, they used this kind of "protection" against Molotov cocktails and the soft branches make it more difficult to brake the glass bottle on the grill. The Finns, however, soon started to attach some rocks to the bottle to make sure it shatters.

(:-)

Toni
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 09:05 PM UTC
Toni i think youre doing pretty well so far !!! the snow effect looks nice its not too much or too little. Keep it like this and i am waiting to see the tank blending in the environment
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 11:24 PM UTC
Toni,

those close-up shots show awesome realism.... wonderful modeling so far. Another masterpiece is in the making.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
Friends,

Finally breaking the silence!
Itīs been almost a month without Armorama and now the shakes are just getting too much to bear. During a busy Xmas I managed to gather enough courage to discard a good paintjob on my BT-7 and see how it turns out with a layer of snow and -20C frost.
The clumps of snow are made the same way as the groundwork described above.
I started the actual winter scheme painting by throwing in random strokes of white oil paint. Then I smudged the white all over the vehicle.
After this step I painted on it with white acrylics, using thicker colour where I wanted more white. Underneath the oil colour gives little chance for the acrylics to stick. So I took a once dried old crappy stiff brush and started rubbing off the white colour.
Finally I went through the details with a sharp wooden stick and dug out some of the matt black primer colour for accent. Results are seen below.
I was very happy with this look and the way I applied it should be consistent with reality...

Feel free to comment!
Figures are based and they will join in in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Toni
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
What can i say Toni,it is bloody stunning,nuff said.
Arthur
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
toni,
smart as mate the snow effect is spot on easily imaging it being for real, really cold morning with the mud clinging to your boots brrrrrhhhhhhhh
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:01 AM UTC
hey toni

wow - top class job congrats - fantastic results for such hard work!
nice one - hope i can do somewhere near as good a job with my coverup dio

alpha
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 10:54 AM UTC
Well, i was going to say leave the tank with the basic green color, for you did an excellent job weathering it. But, the winter wash is phenomenol!!!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:48 PM UTC
Awesome job here. I love the feel of the entire dio. Cant wait to see the figures added to give it the " brought to life feel" Keep up the great work.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 02:46 PM UTC
I amy be stupid but are the unfinished figures going to repair or bomb the tanks?
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:48 PM UTC
I believe that you ve done a very good job with the winter camo and the blending with the environment is absolutely perfect. Very well done my friend , very well
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I may be stupid but are the unfinished figures going to repair or bomb the tanks?

Hehe. I understand this question very well. At first it looks like there is a guy trying to push the tank from the side. However, heīs approaching the tank from a dead angle to plant a bunch of grenades near the air intake. Another guy with a mine follows him. Heīs going to place the mine on the track and then theyīll both duck for cover.
This will be clearer when you see the final pics!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Cheers,
Toni
Bren
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:57 PM UTC
who do you think you are replacing a brilliant paint scheme with an even better one, hey! Congratulations, it must have taken guts!

its on me!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:05 PM UTC
Lookin great Envar
 _GOTOTOP