_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Storing Paint Mix in Siphon-feed AB Jar
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 10:42 AM UTC
I stored a thinned Tamiya acrylic paint in a Paasche siphon-feed airbrush jar after a painting session 2 weeks ago. I covered the connector with a vinyl cap and the lid hole with a tape to prevent air from getting into the jar.

Today I opened the jar, stirred the paint for one minute, and began AB'ing. The spray was extremely grainy. I thinned the paint more and stirred more. The result was the same. Does this indicate that air somehow got into the jar?
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 12:21 PM UTC
No not air it's just that the paint has gone bad. Throw it out and start with a fresh batch and mix only enough for your current needs.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 12:21 PM UTC
Howdy..

Not sure if this helps figure out what went wrong or not, but I just checked my siphon lids and none of them had the insert seal that regular paint bottles use to get an airtight seal, so I would think that maybe your paint was slowly drying out and went bad.

Delbert
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 01:25 PM UTC
What type of paint is it? Either way you have to replace the lid with a better sealing cap. But you should not store mixed paint for any length of time.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 01:33 PM UTC
To add shelf life to Tamiya acryls mix in a few drops of glass cleaner, at the beginning. Once it has gone bad, there is no recovering it. On a side note, I used to store paint in the siphon bottles with a regular cap. It kept for a few days, without glass cleaner.
 _GOTOTOP