_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bibliographies....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 04:16 AM UTC
All of us British Armour modellers, have problems with references. Today, (or whenever I get a chance) I'm going to ask Staff_Jim for some space to start creating a Bibliography for British/Allied Armour subjects. Many of us, and especially the younger modellers, have real problems in tying together photos/uniform references etc. It is also problematic listing manufacturers, weblinks etc. So what I'm proposing, is to start creating our own mini-database here, and with any luck others will start similar areas for their subject interests. Any comments/suggestions?..... Jim
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
I know what you mean. If you want some help count me in. What sort of bibliography? Covering books, models etc?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
Anything at all. I think it would start with reference material.... Jim
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 05:20 AM UTC
Well i help. I have quite a lot on the british army. so i'll put it together. sound ok?
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 05:38 AM UTC
How about, like we have our own galleries, we have our own ref. library with links and pages of info we can input? And all kept in our own....footlocker?

just a thought

kglack

late edit: your info would count as part of you 3mb you get...if you are an A team member, naturally your larger mb account would allow for more storage of info and ref.s...
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC
The bibliography I think is a great I dea ,I do think its to big for one site. I have been trying to compile and list Just such Information on my site, and I only cover IDF equipment.Maybe teh shemaholics can get one going and I see the need for the M60 as well .Many countries use these vehicles and an AM kit list organised by base vehicle type, with notes would I think be easiest. Heres Just a few base vehicle types that would be good candidates for a bibliography list ....

Sherman
Centurion
Jeep
Hummer
M60
challenger
M1 Abrams
T55

I think list should include if possible base kits(in and oop), AM kits Pe Sets and where possible web,print and Cd/dvd based articles. Not Being the most Computer savvy any Ideas on how to set up a method of the general public adding missed Items through a standardized DAta form?
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

like this idea I'm always looking for new sources and refs not just for modelling purposes either (the missus says its something to do with being an 'anorak' personally I prefer to call it a sensible coat). Too late I'm sounding like my father now.

Anoraks of the world unite and post your favourite reference source.

Happy modelling
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 11:59 AM UTC
hey jimbrae

think itd be a great idea - its surprising how little info there is about brit' military out there. i dont suppose it'd have to be anything huge, just a general referance source to cover the main aspects at 1st perhaps?

if u'd like any help, if i can, lemme know.

alpha
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
Let me put my proposals into a more concrete form:

1) Photo Galleries. If we can persuade 'the man upstairs' to give us some gallery space, we could start uploading pics. With the following provisos: Everything has to be clearly labelled, if a photo has a date, location, what it represents, then put it in the comments section!

2) Weblinks: This is easier. Basically they would fall into the following categories:

(A) Armour sites like Armored Acorn or AFV interiors

(B) Historical sites concentrating on weapons and equipment

[b(C) ]Manufacturers sites, mainly this would concentrate on the smaller specialized figure/conversion producers[/b]

(D) The specialized booksellers (Harsants etc.)

Part # 2. The Bibliographies. Specialized titles exist, they do take a little finding sometimes! A list of books, along with ISBN numbers could be compiled, photos too if possible. There are some gems out there, which some people simply don't know about. For example, the H.M.S.O. publications on the Churchill, the Cromwell etc.....

Part # 3. The models themselves. Basic kit listing AND a constantly evolving list of useful bits and pieces which are available. Where does one find a Churchill III turret? for example

Now this would not be done overnight. I would envision this as a constant project, constantly being revised, added to. Space could also be available for interchange of data.
Sorry for being so long-winded about this but I am really enthusiastic about it. I also don't see why other sites on U.S. armor (for example) couldn't be created either or even databases on particular aircraft for example.... Jim
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
Its a great idea. but or th books i wouldn't try and include the ISBN numbers as different editions have different numbers. A standard way of doing it could be as follows:

Author, Date of Publication, Title, Publisher, Place of publication.

For Example:

Fletcher D (1993) The Universal Tank: British Armour in the Second World War Part 2, HMSO, London
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
I want to try and keep it simple at first, so that is an excellent suggestion..... Keep the suggestions coming guys...Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
I've spoken to Jim. First thing is to organize some gallery space, will keep you posted...Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:01 AM UTC
See this
 _GOTOTOP