_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
sp many techniques, such few models.....
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hiya guys,

Ok so its been about two years since my first model, now I feel I am becoming a 'hardcore" modeller with now being about to say that I have a stash (of about 6 kits!), a spares box and my most proud gain, my air brush. So over the last six months been working my way through all the different techniques that are at our disposal, most with great success. Tonight going to be giving pre shading my first attempt on my aavp,but im now getting to the point where I have ran out of kits I am willing to risk. Well, I don't think that's it, ita more my self not wanting to make any of my models, regardless of what it is, look not up to scratch. Anyone else have this problem? I have tried to buy random cheap models yet still end up feeling the need to get them 100% right, I know its abit of a strange question!

Bronzey
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 02:52 AM UTC
I think I know what you're going through. My father in law has been pushing me to get into the aircraft end of the hobby as he's a former pilot. He gave me a new Tamiya 1/32 Mustang last year for my birthday. I'd really love to build it, but I want to do a perfect job on it and since my skills aren't quite there yet it's just sitting there collecting dust. I'm spending my own money and time on old 1/32 hasegawa kits I'm not terribly interested in so I can feel confident enough that I'm not going to make a mess of that Tamiya jewel.

Cheers

Jeff
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
Lol. I'm a relative newbie, and like you I'm working my way through techniques. I tend to put a fair bit of pe on my models, so when I start paibting it's with a real sense of fear! I love it, but I'm scared I'm going to mess up. I did that on my latest model, managed to get an orange peel finish, mainly by trying to be too exact. But I'm pulling it back slowly.

So yes, I know exactly how you feel - and I've never had a practice kit
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 03:08 AM UTC
OMG THE GOLDEN KIT!

yes I have this, its my aavp, my wife got me it two years ago now, was my first kit she got me and hands up looking back it was far too hard for a newbie! So its been my slow project that I've gone back to between others as it HAS to be right, I feel there is a massive weight of pressure as I know being why I got it I'll be judged on it. Also I advice to get practice kits, its a great help.

Bronzey
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 03:09 AM UTC
Gentlemen, if I may interject from an old timers perspective. I started really, seriously utilizing when I was 15 or so, I am now 43. I bought the awesome Tamiya kits backminnthe day when they were the cutting edge. I always wanted to make them look Ike the ones in the books or in the display cases at the hobby shop. I was so concerned about doing a good job, that the few kits that got started, never got finished. I ammased a "stash" that grew over time but never completed anything. I hAe just this past year finished two kits that were started years ago. One was started when I was 16 the other 23. I now know that I have some decent skills and if I take my time and pay attention I can turn out a good product, just like any thing else in life. I still have a 1/48 B-1 that I was given for my 16 th birthday that I am hoping to build soon. The point of all of this is that if you let your fear control you you will never get anything completed and this can transfer to other aspects of your life. Don't worry about doing a good job and making it perfect. Just do your best, learn from your mistakes and know that paint can be removed with a little brake fluid. Best of luck and remember its a hobby and its supposed to be fun. Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP