_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Buildings & Ruins
Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Looking for a brick road (and not yellow)
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 02:28 AM UTC
Greetings,
Does anyone know if and where I can get a section of brick road/street in 1/72 scale. I have searched and searched and the only thing I have found was a cobblestone road section from Airmodel. I really don't want cobblestone but good ole red brick. I have tried to make my own but the results look exactly as I was expecting, a slab of putty that looked like someone scribed perpendicular lines in it . Any help in this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 02:41 AM UTC

Check out Tiger Productions. They do some 72nd scale bases.

http://tigerdio.com/ProductListings/ProdList_Category.php?pageNum_rsItems=2&totalRows_rsItems=36&Category=HQ72ResinProducts&Era=Bases
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
Try a model railway suppliers I've seen sheets of brickwork in 1/72 scale in my local LHS- can't remember any brand names though
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC
Thanx Jimmy. There are a few options I might be able to use there. I am trying to find a nice display for my Roden Opel Blitz Aero bus. Thought the wet brick pavement as in the box art was a good idea.

Cheers
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 04:58 AM UTC
Robbie
you nead to check out http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=JW-PPA3018 over at luck it J'works great stuff
dave
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robbie
you nead to check out http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=JW-PPA3018 over at luck it J'works great stuff
dave

he's looking for 1/72 scale bricks
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 05:21 AM UTC
thay make small ones as well they might work
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 05:29 AM UTC
That has been my problem. I can find what I am looking all day in 1/35 but for some reason there is nothing, zero, nadda in 1/72 which blows me away. When I thought of doing this I did not figure I would have an issue of finding brick road in that scale. Never crossed my mind. I even was doing what Pat suggested and scoped out the railroad modelers sites but it too is sparse unless I want a printed row of bricks. But after Jimmy's post I went back on the hunt in the railroad modelers realm and found a site
http://monstermodelworks.com/HO-Scale/HO-Brick-Sheets/ .
So I wonder if I can get away with using HO scale American bricks in a mid-late '30s German city and will the contest judges know

Cheers
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC
While Jimmy (Simmons - owner of MMW) makes a very good product, you'll be paying a premium for his laser-cut wood vs. cast plastic sheets - and getting a lot less of it. There are many producers of HO (1:87) brick sheet, and also some for OO (1:76) in the U.K. I don't know of any for 1:72.

For HO in the US, go to this site (best prices for almost anything train-related)and search for HO brick sheet:
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/

For 1:76 in the U.K., my search turned up this dealer, but you can also order from Slaters directly; you can get VAT deducted, but shipping will be as much or more:
http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1723_1.html

I think brick vs. setts (what's commonly called cobblestone) in Europe is fairly rare. I'd suggest using Google Translate (or other) to get the German for "brick road" (or street), and then do an image search to see what you get.

Charles
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 09:20 AM UTC
Another decent US store is hobbylinc.com
They have very good prices and, unlike MTS, besides model train also carry military modeling stuff as well as scratch building - including the entire Plastruct line.

My big issue with them is the difficulty of finding what you want. They don't have advanced search, and I think their generic search looks for any entered words vs. all, so you often get ~500 results when you were expecting maybe 5. The first few screens of results for "HO brick sheet" were good, but then it starts deteriorating. Sometimes you get irrelevant junk from the beginning of the results.

If you're more patient than I am, they can be a good one-stop destination, while Scale Hobbyist is the best for price and service if you're only looking for military. However, many items there have no or little description, so you need to know what you're after.
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 04:34 AM UTC
Plastruct has brick sheet in various 'scales'. Make sure you look at the detail on the item -- that list has both vacformed plastic sheet and printed paper sheet (good for distance visual effect, but not for basing).
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch for the feedback/info. I now at least have some choices. Now it is off to see if I can find any pictures of German brick roads for that time frame

Cheers all
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now it is off to see if I can find any pictures of German brick roads for that time frame

Brick road in Klein Behnitz (district of Nauen) in Brandenburg, Germany :

H.P.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 06:25 AM UTC
Interesting, is it common to lay the bricks at an angle like that in that part of the world? Would they do that in the cities? If that was common, that just dried up my options. Did not see anything that had the bricks laid out at an angle like that. Man this hobby can get weird at times. All I can think of now is forget about asking me questions about the subject (Opel Aero Blitzbus), ask me about the brick road

Cheers
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 - 07:19 AM UTC
Robbie,

Rich at RSLaser might be able to help: https://archive.kitmaker.net/news/15831
worst-modeler-ever
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:37 PM UTC
hi i just seen this question about brick roads and i can tell you its common in countires like holland and belgium to have this type of roads,but mostly as pads in the country or as driveways infront of a house.In the older days it was more in use as its nowadays,most are replaced in my town with concrete stones
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:05 AM UTC
For german brick roads (even in yellow) try asking the GMail-Man for pictures of

klinkerpflaster

klinkerpflaster verlegen

Also modern (at least since the late 60s/early 70s) brick road are often "Plastersteine" (concrete bricks). Those come in two main sizes "Useable as a club" and "Useable for throwing"
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:25 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies. I asked this awhile ago after I got the Roden Opel Blitz Aero kit - http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=142771 - and I toyed around with maybe copying the idea from the box art on a small display base. When I initially started my search I was surprised that there is not much in that scale. I even checked out the railroad modeler's sites. Not sure other then color if there is a difference between a 'cobble stone' or 'brick' road. I just thought a red brick base with lots of gloss/future on it would look good with the white bus. I am also not sure if the box art is just made up or not. From what I have read, that particular style bus was mostly used around Essen.

With the replies to this post, I have some links to look at. Still have not decided yet what I will use but at least I have something more to go on.

I later picked up the 'other' Opel Blitz bus http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=142769 and it looks like I have more choices with it if I decide to display it based on it's box art.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP