_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Spliting a Kit?
Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC
I am hoping for some input about an idea I am pitching around . Being the tightwad that I am I was wondering if the model powers that be have any objection to spliting a building kit into two buildings. I messed up and picked up an old picture frame that I was going to use for a Dio base at a yard sale and it turned out to be too small. So I came up with the idea to use only half the building. The building kit is Verlinden's kit#1362, The Farmyard. To economize on space I was just going to angle the right piece of the building and hack enough of the resin roof off to "cut the mustard". Then I will put the well and a tiger with crew plus some figures in front of this building. Ironically enough when it comes to being "politically correct", modeling is the only time the term applies for me. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Stephen
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 10:30 AM UTC
Sounds fine to me. Of course, my attitude is, it's your hobby, so you should do whatever makes you happy. Along those lines, I once saw an airplane kit split in half and mounted in a shadow box. Looked pretty good. Kind of wish I had thought of it. So, if you like the idea of splitting the building, go for it.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 11:47 AM UTC
Doesn't Chris Mrosko call those 'Wedgies'?

Tread.
Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 03:03 PM UTC
hey Tread,

I might be out of line and showing my lack of knowledge here but isn't a "wedgie" when someone grabs your underwear? Could you please elaborate?

Thanks
Stephen
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hey Tread,

I might be out of line and showing my lack of knowledge here but isn't a "wedgie" when someone grabs your underwear? Could you please elaborate?

Thanks
Stephen

Hi Stephen. "Wedgie" by definition (my definition, and unfortunately my colleage and university mate's too) is grabs someone's underwear and PULL...Not enjoyable at the receiving end of it.... #:-)
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hola,
yes a wedgie is that uncomfortable feeling of underwear being stretched way to far up from where they are supposed to be. What tread means is that you build your tank, then to make it fit on a smaller base or just as a back drop you cut the tank in peices, like the front, a side etc etc. Military Modeling had an article about this not too long ago, its a good way to disiplay your tanker figures, but you still want the figures to be the MAIN object, so you cut a smaller peice of the tank, just to show its there. Interesting concept really. Might have to try it sometime!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Doesn't Chris Mrosko call those 'Wedgies'?

Tread.

Heh heh - yes, he calls 'em 'wedgies'...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 06:10 AM UTC
O.K., O.K......Anders & Gunnie, thanks for your technical support on this 'Wedgie' subject! :-) :-)

Sabotshooter & SS-74.....go to the corner for a 'Time-out'! "That kind of sophmoric behaviour will not be tolerated in my class!" Oops, sorry. Had some british parochial school flashbacks there for a minute...please forgive me.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 06:15 AM UTC
lol
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:24 AM UTC
Stephen - I am working on a diorama with the Verlinden Farmyard right now and I think your idea should work. You also won't have to worry about putting a bunch of stuff inside the building since you'd be getting rid of the wide opening in front.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP