_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Captured Chechen T-72'BM' 1995
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hey fella's, a new blog!

I'm going to turn this lot:

Into this:

Its a captured Chechen rebel T-72B with K-5 era (not actually a BM but as this is what most people know the tank as I named the blog this for ease).

I read somewhere that the tank was purportedly used by Dzhokhar Dudayev's men. Anyway it has some interesting features, namely the graffiti (anyone know what any of it says?), the lack of turret bins and a missing fender fuel cell.

First step is chopping up the Tamiya kit, the entire front hull needs removing:

And the new Miniarm resin hull glued in place:

watch this space........
Tank_builder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 03:53 PM UTC
Very cool build. I believe the tanks used by Dudayev's men had white turrets, but I could be wrong. Where did you find the picture? I've never seen a Chechen 72B, only 72As, which is what I want to do to go with my Russian T-72B marked for Chechnya. As for the graffiti, Бумат (Bumat) is a city south-west of Grozny. Unfortunately I'm not fluent enough with Russian to figure out the graffiti on the skits due to the missing (or not visible) letters. Looking forward to seeing more soon, and I'll for sure be watching this.
-Seth
spetsnazgru
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 661 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 07:49 PM UTC
I'll follow this one, the graffiti on the turret says Bamut not bumat and yes it's the name of a chechen city
Tank_builder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll follow this one, the graffiti on the turret says Bamut not bumat and yes it's the name of a chechen city

Whoops, sorry about that one.
-Seth
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 12:50 AM UTC
Rob- that is one epic collection of extras you've got there and such a great choice of subject too- quite unique- I'll definetly be keeping an eye on this- best of luck with the project mate.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the interest guys! And for Seth and Jamal helping me out with some of the graffiti.

Quoted Text

Very cool build. I believe the tanks used by Dudayev's men had white turrets, but I could be wrong. Where did you find the picture?

Chechen rebel T-72's did indeed appear to have their turrets painted white, however I believe this particular vehicle is a captured Russian example, which I seem to recall reading somewhere (I cannot remember where) was crewed by men directly loyal to, or under the command of, Dzhokhar Dudayev, rather than just any old group of rebels.

Heres a few more photos I found of this tank (i'm afraid I dont know the sources), it seems to have become gradually more beaten up:

Perhaps someone can make out some more of the graffiti? There seems to be letters painted on each of the K-5 segments.

I made a little more progress this evening and removed the middle fuel cell. Unfortunately Tamiya designed the kit without any fenders and the cells moulded in situ. So I had to build up the hull sides and blank of the ends of the other cells.

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 12:02 PM UTC
Looking good! I have the stuff to build a T-72BM also...just need to get around to doing it
Tank_builder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 12:07 PM UTC
Where did you find the info. on the tanks? I would like to learn more for my future build. As for the graffiti, the skirts say "Freedom or death" in Russian. Борз (Borz) is apparently Chechen for wolf. Had to google translate that one. Can't make out what is written on the other set of K-5 or along the turret. Nice progress.
-Seth
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good! I have the stuff to build a T-72BM also...just need to get around to doing it

Thanks Scott! The fact Trumpeter have just announced one sort of spurred me on, I want to try and get mine finished before these start springing up all over the place.

Seth-Thanks once again for the translation. The other graffiti is indeed rather difficult to make out, there seems to be something in read on one of the upper skirts and also something painted on the barrel, I might just go with the stuff I can make out and leave the rest.

The actual photos themselves where taken from various Russian language sites and forums, where unfortunately I cannot remember. I'd love to know where it was I can across the info on this tank as well, but unfortunately cannot recall, therefore i'll probably just go with this being any old rebel tank.
Tank_builder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC
No problem, if you find some more just let me know. As for the info on the tanks, I'll just go around and see what I can find. Hope to see more soon.
-Seth
Inkerilainen
Visit this Community
Karelia, Russia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hi, guys!
Firstly, excuse me for my english, I forgot a big part of it I learned at school.
Secondly, I wanna say, that I had big plans to build exactly this tank, but I absolutely have no time to build it, so i think it will be better, if I'll help you in your building.

So...
I think, that the first photo was made in august 1996, when chechens assault Grozny.

About graffity:
1. Big yellow letters on the turret - Бамут (Bamut) - name of village in Chechnya, symbol of resistance for chechens.
2. Small white letters on the fuel tank on the right fender - Ингушетия (Ingushetia) - neighboring region of Russia. It is my supposition (guess), I'm not sure.
3. Big yellow letters on the right side skirt - УНА (UNA - Ukrainian National Assembly) - ukrainian radical nationalist party. There were ukrainian assassins on this war, who fight against Russian army. It is also my supposition (guess), I'm not sure.
4. Blue letters on the right side skirt I can't link in the word.
5. Yellow letters on the fuel tank on the right fender - Ичкерия (Ichkeriya) - name of chechen state in 1991-2000 (full name - Chechen Republic Ichkeriya)
6. Big yellow letters on the left side skirt - свобода или смерть (svoboda ili smert') - freedom or death (motto, slogan).
7. Big yellow letters on the left side of turret - Янди (Yandi) - name of village in Chechnya.
8. Big blue letters on the right side of turret - Борз (Borz) - wolf (волк - volk). Chechens like to compare themselves with wolves and call many things "Borz" even hand-made guns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borz).
9. Small red letters on the fuel tank on the left fender - США, Америка (USA, America). It is also my supposition (guess), I'm not sure.
10. Small white letters on the fuel tank on the left fender I can't link in the word.
11. And at last I recommend you to watch film "Стреляющий август" ("Shooting august") on youtube. There you can see video of this tank (time 24:36). Also you'll see small white letters on the fuel tank on the left fender. I think it is ШАЛИ (Shali) - name of town in Chechnia.
12. The main problem - letters on the barrel gun. I can't read all letters or link them in words. I should think about it.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi Rob;
That's one Fantastic Project that you are undertaking All those AM sets must have cost you a Fortune !
Ive done a similar build with one of my T-72s, I first used a strip of plastic strip and measured it too fill in the Sponson. Next I cut out one section of the Fuel tank, and added the Fender details that are under the fuel tanks.
Then you have too add the side details of the others, there are supports that separate the cells that have too be added.
And Don't forget the Fuel lines that run next too the Hull.
The Fenders have Recessed lines that run the length of the fenders, and there are Drain Holes in some places in the fenders. Also when the fuel tanks are removed the fenders are Heavy with Rust and Fuel Stains.
I hope this is just a Lil-Bit of Info, that will Help. Keep at it, Good Luck. CHEERS. MIKE.
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
I'll sure be following this blog. Looking forward to new updates!

Kind regards, Sven.
xilef1
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
I discovered this rather old but interesting discussion,
And as a matter of fact I' m currently building the same T72,

I was wondering if this build was eventually finished ?

And would be interesting alos about the slogan....As described above, the blue marking are hard to understand
 _GOTOTOP