_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Abrams paint help
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 06:53 AM UTC
I am doing a M1A1 Abrams an trying to get the right color through Vallejo paint colors I tried finding it myself but there is so many choices I can't decide so I thought I would ask for help from some of the professionals on here who use Vallejo paint what use would use for sand base color.

I like Vallejo paint and that's all I use now an I'm not familiar with there paint as I used to be with model master paints. Any help would be appreciated.

Happy modeling
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 09:04 AM UTC
Will,
Here is a pic of a CARC tan paint chip with three colors of paint laid on top. Since you asked for Vallejo products, I used two Vallejo products:
- Surface Primer in Desert Tan Base (73613)
- Model Air Sand (71075)

As a comparison, I also added AK Interactive US Modern Vehicles AK122.

IMHO, the Model Air Sand is quite close to the hue of the paint chip, while the AK offering is quite a bit grayer. I suppose after the weathering process starts, all bets are off.

There is a discussion on ML's Modern Armor forum, where MM Sand and Tamiya Deck Tan Wooden XF-78 are also recommended for CARC Tan.

HTH

John
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Will,
Here is a pic of a CARC tan paint chip with three colors of paint laid on top. Since you asked for Vallejo products, I used two Vallejo products:
- Surface Primer in Desert Tan Base (73613)
- Model Air Sand (71075)

As a comparison, I also added AK Interactive US Modern Vehicles AK122.

IMHO, the Model Air Sand is quite close to the hue of the paint chip, while the AK offering is quite a bit grayer. I suppose after the weathering process starts, all bets are off.

There is a discussion on ML's Modern Armor forum, where MM Sand and Tamiya Deck Tan Wooden XF-78 are also recommended for CARC Tan.

HTH

John

Thank You Sir for protecting us.

That is a match to the best of my eyes can see an your right with the weathering it will depend on how it is done an I have neer weathered with Vallejo yet this is my first model useing them.

Happy modeling
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 12:25 PM UTC
Will,

No thanks are required by this Tankrider... It was a great opportunity to serve my country and get close to those subjects that I enjoy modeling. Keep posting pictures of your work.

John
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 01:02 PM UTC
That is a very useful reference for CARC tan, thanks for sharing John! And you have a great attitude, but I feel that thanks should be given to all those who serve one's country
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a very useful reference for CARC tan, thanks for sharing John! And you have a great attitude, but I feel that thanks should be given to all those who serve one's country

excuse my stupidity here for a second, what's the difference in color on the tile pictured versus model master USMC/Army Sand, or just plain Sand?
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a discussion on ML's Modern Armor forum
John

OK,
I may be suffering a brain cramp but what is ML?

Cheers Rob.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 01:17 PM UTC
The Testors USMC/Army sand is a good match for Desert Storm sand.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 08:16 PM UTC
Never Mind

Cheers Rob.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

excuse my stupidity here for a second, what's the difference in color on the tile pictured versus model master USMC/Army Sand, or just plain Sand?

Just plain SAND from Model Master is a good match for OIF/OEF/current paint. The US Army/Marines desert sand from Model Master is good for the Gulf War I tan. It is a grayer color...similar to the AK color in the above picture (which I say is mislabeled by AK as a current color, which it isn't)

Again, using the above picture
MM US Army/Marines Sand looks like the AK Modern US paint sample
MM SAND looks like the Vallejo Sand color.

Thanks for that picture, John. I didn't know Vallejo has a good match color. I'll have to check that out next time I am at the hobbyshop. Never compared the Deck Tan...I may have that at home to check out
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 02:29 PM UTC
Also a big thank you for the help, I will have to pick up some of the just plain "sand" color for doing modern OIF armor builds, as I have two bottles of the USMC/Army Armor Sand color, truly a big help!

didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 02:51 PM UTC
Atta boy John, this is great and very practical. Where did you get the CARC sample? Now if we just had them for the NATO 3 tone and all the MERDC colors.. . . .
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Atta boy John, this is great and very practical. Where did you get the CARC sample? Now if we just had them for the NATO 3 tone and all the MERDC colors.. . . .

I hate to admit this but I got the chip from a M578 that is part of the Armor School Museum collection at Ft Benning. It was "shedding" and I grabbed a couple of chips off of the ground. I will freely admit that this sample is a faded sample of CARC Tan, probably from th eearly to mid 90's. While I was visiting the collection, I also got several smaller, thinner chips from a Caiman MRAP but seemed to have lost them since then. Will work on the NATO CARC samples and maybe some MRDEC, through some of my connections on the other side of Ft Sill or the Museums.

John
 _GOTOTOP