_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Iraqi T55
Kojak0
Visit this Community
Alvsborgs, Sweden
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 01:34 AM UTC
I'm planning to build a knocked out T-55 from OIF, using the Tamiya T-55 kit as a base. However, considering how much damage a hellfire missile do, a lot of interior will be shown, and I would like to get it right, at least regarding parts. So I would need pretty much everything a tank has inside the armor, but I'm wondering about what's out there as aftermarket kits, and how much I have to scratchbuild?

And while I'm asking: I think the Tamiya T55 is pretty much a basic Soviet type tank, but how much needs to be changed to make it Iraqi? If I have understood the info I have so far, the engine cover might need to be rebuilt, but what else?

Any suggestions, tips and help appreciated.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Andy;
If you are not building a specific tank, then its only up too your own idea.
Also if your planning on a Brewed up vehicle just about the only good items are the engine, and as for Iraq then just about any T-54 or T-55 will be o.k. !
And you could also build a Chinese Type-59, you are only limited by how much Detail that you are willing to go.
Check your Reference and take notes on what details you like, a Good source of ref; is Concords Iraqi wrecks & Fortifications.
You will have too be willing too due a lot of scratch building as far as the inside of the turret, there is not a lot of AM sets for making a Brewed up tank.

Good Luck; MIKE.
Kojak0
Visit this Community
Alvsborgs, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 07:04 PM UTC
Yeah, I did think of using a cheaper T-55 than Tamiya's, but most reviews I've read about them only touch on how Russian/Polish/Czech they are, with little or no regard for any Iraqi modifications. Which kind of puts me in a pickle... A lot can be covered up by the fact that the tank has suffered catastrophical destruction, but I stilll want to have the details there.

I'm well aware that a lot needs to be scratched and I think I remember that soon after Tamiya released their T-55 there were quite a lot of aftermarket sets with this model in mind, but it seems a lot have gone out of production now.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 09:08 PM UTC
Good luck on your build, its sounds very ambitious.

I think that you might be better off choosing to show a vehicle that has been hit by a Anti Tank round rather than a Hellfire missle. That might (depending on the secondary explosion) show a vehicle with more of the internal structure within the tank rather than an an utterly gutted hulk
Kojak0
Visit this Community
Alvsborgs, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
Ha! Yeah, I thought about that; most tanks that are 'killed' by AT rounds only show a small hole and perhaps fire rust and nothing else, so that would be a quite cheap solution. With the kind of catastrophical destruction I have in mind, there will be a lot more work, that's true, but on the other hand very little is recognizable about what it once was, so I can get away with quite a lot. It's like cheating, but good cheating.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ha! Yeah, I thought about that; most tanks that are 'killed' by AT rounds only show a small hole and perhaps fire rust and nothing else, so that would be a quite cheap solution. With the kind of catastrophical destruction I have in mind, there will be a lot more work, that's true, but on the other hand very little is recognizable about what it once was, so I can get away with quite a lot. It's like cheating, but good cheating.

With the way Soviet/Russian tanks brew up after being hit lots of the internal structure becomes external structure very quickly. You will need a dio to do it justice - and start a build log !
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:31 AM UTC
I've got a few Iraqi T-55 pics in this Picasa album :

https://picasaweb.google.com/106730964330635674808/IraqiT69IIT55

Other pics showing Type 69-II tanks in various states of destruction may help as well regarding the possible damages you can replicate..

H.P.
wychdoctor92394
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm planning to build a knocked out T-55 from OIF, using the Tamiya T-55 kit as a base. However, considering how much damage a hellfire missile do, a lot of interior will be shown, and I would like to get it right, at least regarding parts. So I would need pretty much everything a tank has inside the armor, but I'm wondering about what's out there as aftermarket kits, and how much I have to scratchbuild?

And while I'm asking: I think the Tamiya T55 is pretty much a basic Soviet type tank, but how much needs to be changed to make it Iraqi? If I have understood the info I have so far, the engine cover might need to be rebuilt, but what else?

Any suggestions, tips and help appreciated.

Try using little bits of popsicle sticks as wood crates blown apart...other detritus could come from electronics in television set backs....
Kojak0
Visit this Community
Alvsborgs, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 11:03 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions and help everybody - and sorry for not logging in more often, but RL takes time...

I think this will be a quite interesting build to be honeest - but starting a build log?

I'm way too shy for that... Or modest.
 _GOTOTOP