_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Using 28mm for 1/48 Dioramas
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 329 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi,

I am looking at some 28mm war gaming buildings that look as though they could be a great addition to a diorama.

Has anyone done this, or have any thoughts and recommendations.

I found one kit in 28mm that is identical to a Custom Dioramics buidling:

Here is the 28mm made by Precision Model Design:
http://www.precisionmodeldesigns.com/ruinedBrickHouse.html

The Custom Dioramics:
http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/8437/urban_house_ruin_no1__d_

There must be an agreement in place between each other, which leads me to wonder if other Precision Model Design buildings would be a good fit.

velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 05:19 PM UTC
I don't know either company or the products involved, so can only say that "generally" war gaming products tend to trade realism for sturdyness, given that the usage requirements vary so much from military modeling. However, if you're satisfied with the appearance of a gaming component or, as in this case, a seemingly identical item is also sold as a diorama product, then there's no reason not to use it.

The PMD modular factory series looks a bit crude to my eye, but other of their products could be made to work with selective detailing, painting and finishing.

I did see one thing that gave me concern. I noticed that they had a non-destroyed "furnace" with a brick smokestack, while I believe all those available in the military modeling world are blown up. The square, bottom furnace section appears to be well done, but the "brickwork" on the smokestack leaves a lot to be desired.

I noticed this claim, "The Factory was hand carved by a master modeler, so each brick is different to give it a very real look."

Aha - apparently their master graduated from the downtown deco school of brickwork and isn't aware that bricks are formed in molds, so they're NOT supposed to all look different - and the courses should be of consistent heights, and no this does not have "a very real look". I understand the desire to add "character" to brickwork, but for my tastes it doesn't automatically equate to "realism" -particularly when the degree of variation is way over the top. I've been quite impressed with some of the cork brickwork, but then that's going to be a more major effort -especially in 1:48. YMMV
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 02:23 AM UTC
Doorframes might be a little low as 1/48 figures are 36 - 37 mm tall. Would work if the buildings were made for Hobbits .In scale doors would be around 5' tall, or less. Of course, if scale is not an issue...
 _GOTOTOP