_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Tamiya Adding Two More
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 03:43 AM UTC
An announcement from Tamiya has two new releases coming our way and they look very interesting Commonwealth fans.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 04:24 AM UTC
How fortuitous! A certain resin company is already working on a stowage set for the old LRDG truck, which that kit appears to be.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 04:41 AM UTC
Ho-hum! Another reboxing of a '70's kit, with Masterbox (?) figs.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 04:49 AM UTC
US British paratroopers? Eh? that makes no sense at all....
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 05:11 AM UTC
The first set is the Tamiya LRDG truck w/ Masterbox LRDG figs. The second set is Brit Paras w/bicycles. Folding bicycles from Diopark? Might be more Masterbox, but I don't recognize them.
Removed by original poster on 09/13/13 - 17:15:35 (GMT).
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Folding bicycles from Diopark?

My mistake! The bicycles must actually be Tamiya originals (!!), as Diopark's are much better!
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 05:32 AM UTC
Really another kit from the 1970's with new figures sold at 2013 prices.

Pass

Regards,

Rod
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 06:58 AM UTC
In the absence of a new kit it is good to see the Chevy still available. It can get hard to get hold of, hopefully these will be permanently available.

There are several sets for kitting it up, Black Dog do one and Resicast have a great range of choices to bring it into the 21st century, RT Truck, Breda Truck, Fitters Truck and early or late stowage choices.

I wonder if the bikes are form Meng? There's set seems to have disappeared and a couple of Paras to update are always handy.

Not world beating stuff but the Chevy builds into a good kit with some TLC, I hadn't seen the Paras before.

Al
tigerproductions
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 08:35 AM UTC
BORING............................................
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 09:25 AM UTC
Why does people always complain when Tamiya release something, dont look then or dont buy it, if you dont like it...
tenshin111
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why does people always complain when Tamiya release something, dont look then or dont buy it, if you dont like it...

Because this is an old model in a new box plus some extras borrowed from another manufacturer.

Would you like a re-heated yesterday pizza at double its previous price? I don't think so.
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 05:39 AM UTC
Ok, but then you know it's a old model so don't buy it ! It can not be easier, people don't have to complain about it all the time they release something it was the same with the Tusk M1 ...
About the price you are maybe right, it's not fair BUT nothing cost the same as it did for over 20 years ago so the price must be higher ofcourse, you earn more when you working now, don't you? At least i do earn more than double now than i did for 25-30 years ago! when you compare with a Pizza , then you can compare what a pizza did cost for maybe 15 years ago... as you also live in Sweden you maybe know than that you could by a pizza for around 25sek but now they cost around 65-70 sek and that is almost 200% higher price but do you complain about that too?
So it can not be easier, don't buy it then or dont look at it if you dont like what they release! It can not be more simple than that...!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 10:08 AM UTC
Roger I believe it is a way of trying to let the manufacturer know that they are unhappy with them and this practice, by the same score the Gama-goat is getting lots of praise.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you like a re-heated yesterday pizza at double its previous price? I don't think so.

Good one!! The point here is that if Tamiya is going to charge today's prices for a kit, a company that big with a certain amount of integrity and prestige, could at least re-tool the kit. It does have 70's issues that need addressing. They're just taking yesterday's cold pizza and throwing on a couple of fresh mushrooms.
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 02:59 AM UTC
Well the way to look at it is not as a new kit release (which of course it isn't), but as a reissue of an old favorite. Not having another manufacturer offer an injection LRDG Chevy means that there's no competition, so no need to upgrade it. I bet all the the aftermarket manufacturers for this kit are happy as it ensures that there might be new sales for them as well. The alternative of course is either to reissue the kit without additional parts or not reissue at all. As a manufacturer, there's no way I can reissue an old kit at yesterday's prices, unless I can pay my staff yesterday's wages, and buy raw material at yesterday's prices. Of course not reissue-ing it would just drive up the prices for those old kits if there was a demand for it.

The other scenario is that another manufacturer comes along and makes a newer better or more accurate version of this kit as in the case of the Bren carrier, M48A3, etc. the newcomer of course has to provide something better - either more detail, more accurate, etc. So you end up with a choice of either an easy to build but not so accurate kit or an awesome kit that takes forever to build. So everyone's happy or unhappy. Also if you've already built the old Tamiya LRDG Chevy or build only German stuff then this reissue is definitely boring.

Ultimately, the trend is Tamiya establishing a distinct identity in the plastic kit industry. Average - good detail, ease of build and including a little something extra to make a nice vignette.

Wait till you here what they've done with the reissue of the Ford Mutt
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

US British paratroopers? Eh? that makes no sense at all....

That'd make them Canadians, right?

Mark
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC
Nice to see this truck reissued . Never bothered with it when it 1st came out in the 70s , but over the passing years have wished I had a couple in my stash . Since the extra Master Box figures included in Tamiya kit cost about $16.00 at the LHS , I would be getting the truck for $30. I don't mind paying that .The Paras , way overpriced IMO .We all know that some people will buy them . Now if Italeri would reissue their CMP tractor ....
 _GOTOTOP