_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
my first dio
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 03:49 PM UTC
I just posted pics of my first diorama in the members gallery...I would appreciate any feedback from everyone who would have a look at it...thanks also kinda ignore the gun on the panther this is the cheap tamiya A model and the gun was warped beyind use so i used what i could and thanks again
panzerseba
Visit this Community
Vrancea, Romania
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:21 PM UTC
nice work, good composition
i have few comments, take it like wht i'd like, not rules for life
details on the house ruin, esp. the floor are good, but here and after all everything is to "new", u have to wash a little
also the rubble had to be smaller, also the braked pieces of wall
after all is a nice dio, keep on modeling
80a2
Visit this Community
Flevoland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 08:45 PM UTC
Really good dio
and as panzerseba said a wash would do good on the walls
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 09:20 PM UTC
is that really your first dio?

if it is i wish my first one was that good!

as the others said, a wash would better define the detail on buildings etc,

other than that there arent any things that stand out, other than one impressive diorama!

keep up the good work, and i look forward to seeing your future efforts

cheers

joe
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 10:35 PM UTC
Yes this really is my first hand try at a diorama...thank you for your feedback and i will try the wash, do you just recommend a wash such as a burnt umber wash?
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:03 AM UTC
Very nice work in there buddy !!!!if this is your first you ll be an expert in notime i bet . Bravo !!!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 01:19 AM UTC
That is quite an undertaking for a first diorama. It's very well done too.
I agree with others about the wash. You can use burnt umber, black, a mix. And you can mix it up on various areas. You can actually add some green wash to the edge of the bridge or wall.
One thing you can add on top of the wash is a coat of pastels. Give an overall dusty/dirty feel.

One note on future dioramas - if you want to add a bit of a hurried feel to it you can have the tank actually running Over the lamp post.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 06:37 AM UTC
Howdy Jack: Excellent work!! The street, the ruined building, the tree all look very good. It is obvious you hvae alot of skill and patience! The overall feel of the dio is GREAT and the armor and figures look good from what I can see as well. The others have made helpful suggestions that I think will bring out even more from the solid work you have done. Were the stone walls and cobblestone street a pre fab kit or did you scratch build them? Great work and I can't wait to see Dio # 2 from you!!
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
i have taken everyones suggestions and did a wash on the building,the canal wall and a little on the fence in the fore ground. I also did a little green on the waterline...I want to thank everyone for their comments. I really appreciate the input. Bison, the canal wall i cast from plaster,the building is foam board covered with plaster, the fence is a tamiya brick set covered with plaster and the cobblestones are lentils. again thanks for sharing your opinions
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC
jackhammer,
I think you did a great job for a first dio. If you follow the advice you get here, it will surely improve your eforts! But I must say, for the first try, applause, applause!
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
Jackhammer: a great first diorama. The others have made good suggestions, I might add you might want to add some weathering to the Panther, it appears too "clean". Your tree is very impressive. Could you tell us how you made it?

Keith
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
Great job!!!!!
But its too clean, too clean. i'm with the other wash it and dirty it. May be there could be plant life at the water line, stains on the wall where the water mark has been previously, dent the pail hanging from the back of the armour and certainly rust it up a litlle. But when alls said and done, im talking from experience (and still learning!!!) and i'll tell you this your dio is far better than some of my dios, so hats off to you! You're one to keep an eye on!!
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:04 AM UTC
thanks again for the compliments. I will try to do a little denting and weathering to the vehilces. I found an article here in the features on making trees with wire...thats how the tree was made with just a couple differences, first I used wire from a 4 gauge automotive battery cable and also i beleive i doubled the amount of strands used in the article then i covered it with spackle when it dried i smoothed it with my dremel. then i textured it with a razor saw. The smaller branches i used twigs from a tumble weed but instead of tying them on i broke where the plaster covered the ends of the single wires and drilled the twigs out with a pin drill and slipped them right ober the wire...the rest is just the painting and covering with parsley flakes...once again thank you all for all your feedback
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 06:52 PM UTC
Jackhammer

Nice first time dio. I would have to agree with the others. A little washing/ dirtying up the dio such as the wall, buildings, vehicles, etc would make it even better. I also would had some excess equipment on the outside of the vehicles, such as: bedrolls, helments, extrtra boxes, fuel cans, etc. WW II vehicles crews did the same thing as soldiers in today's war do. Store rucks, bedrolls, ammo, food, etc on every possible place that they can be stored.

But always remember one thing: "You are building your models and dios for your own pleasure, not someone else's." In other words, if you like what and how you built the model/ dio, wht otehr people say doesn't really matter. Except for positivve suggestions on improving your skills.
 _GOTOTOP