_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Color of shells
bep
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 566 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
What's the right color for painting shelves - and can someone explain the difference between copper and brass.
Today I've painted some shelves with humbrol 21 copper, but the color is more of a reddish teint. Perhaps I shoul use gold or something.
Thanx
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:19 AM UTC
Bep, I think it makes a big difference what time period you are talking about, and what nationality. Modern US armor shell casings are made out of spun aluminum, if I'm not mistaken. Late war German shell casings were made out of steel, again, if I'm not mistaken. Early WW2 German casings were brass but as they ran out they changed to steel, I think...
Anyhow, give everyone a little bit more info and I'm sure you will get more than one great answer!

Hope this helped, some,

Shaun
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC
I would tend to stay away from the copper color for shell casings. As you say - that looks pretty redish.

I use MM enamel "brass" for painting shells, but was also wondering if they made a "metallizer" brass color. Kinda like the plane and car guys use for other metallic colors. That might be a better option - if available.

Ultimately - the best brass look is gained by using the aftermarket turned brass shell like Tamiya makes..... expensive, but they do look nice.

Jeff
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:17 AM UTC
Agreed, brass is the right colour unless it was a steel casing.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would tend to stay away from the copper color for shell casings. As you say - that looks pretty redish.

I use MM enamel "brass" for painting shells, but was also wondering if they made a "metallizer" brass color. Kinda like the plane and car guys use for other metallic colors. That might be a better option - if available.

Ultimately - the best brass look is gained by using the aftermarket turned brass shell like Tamiya makes..... expensive, but they do look nice.

Jeff

Yes MM has a brass metalizer buffing. I use it in my ship modeling for the propelers.
Works realy nice , as you can buff it with a soft cloth to achive the sheen you desire. I would think it would be great for shell caseings!

Cheers,
Garry
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
/quote]
Yes MM has a brass metalizer buffing. I use it in my ship modeling for the propelers.
Works realy nice , as you can buff it with a soft cloth to achive the sheen you desire. I would think it would be great for shell caseings!
[/quote]

Yes the Metalizers are the best way to achieve this affect.
You can use Testors metalizers, SNJ brass, AlClad, or Floquil railroad colors.
heres a point: all these paints are LAQUER based.....you wont find metalizers in Acrylic
it doesn't work.
 _GOTOTOP