_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
River Help Needed!
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hi guys, Im making quite a large water base with 3 vehicles swimming through it. I intend for it to be a flowing river but if you think i that would be too hard, I can make it flat. Also, how would I create the wake of the vehicles?
Thanks
Euan
Link to pictures of vehicles -
http://juniormilitarymodeller.blogspot.co.uk/
repynot
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 09:53 AM UTC
Nice vehicles
cassshay
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
Eunu

Ir you follow the link to Railroad Line Forum, Kirk, Coast Line RR in the On39 Line, he has some great ways to make waves with acrilic caulkand some great pictures of what he has done.

http://www.railroad-line.com/

He has 6 volumes of info to search through, the method is probably in volume 1 or 2

Mark
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 02:17 PM UTC
I use a combination of artists acrylic gel medium and polyester fiber filler (used for stuffing teddy bears). For a big wave like wake ( bow wave ) I use some clear plastic sheet bent to shape and covered with the acrylic gel.

You can see my results here:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/197487&page=1
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 07:07 PM UTC
Repynot - Thanks, almost done.
Cassshay - Those are some really great pics! Cheers
Orange_3D - The idea of using a sheet of clear plastic is genius, I'll have to give it a go!
Thanks
Euan
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC

Impressive job on those BMPs Sir!

I love to see that a highly talented new generation can take the baton!!

Well done indeed! I'm sure that given the great info provided by the members above, you will produce a superb diorama!

Be sure to keep us posted!!

Cheers

Romain
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 03:51 AM UTC
Thanks very much for your comments, they are much appreciated! I should have the foam for the base cut by tonight or tommorow. Pics will follow hopefully.
P.S - If you're going to Telfor, you'll probably see it there.
Thanks
Euan
wychdoctor92394
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys, Im making quite a large water base with 3 vehicles swimming through it. I intend for it to be a flowing river but if you think i that would be too hard, I can make it flat. Also, how would I create the wake of the vehicles?
Thanks
Euan

What might make your overall modeling easier, is if you did two vehicles partially coming in or out of the river (less "white water" and more muddy brown to cover any mistakes), and have one slightly offset in the water, or make one of them pulling the other out of a muddy situation... either way, less clear water problems and more ability to work on blending muddy water colors. Just a thought...
wychdoctor92394
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks
Euan

What might make your overall modeling easier, is if you did two vehicles partially coming in or out of the river (less "white water" and more muddy brown to cover any mistakes), and have one slightly offset in the water, or make one of them pulling the other out of a muddy situation... either way, less clear water problems and more ability to work on blending muddy water colors. Just a thought...

Jus had a thought... put a brick in the gutter and watch as poured water flows around it.... this might give you some idea as to how the water flows around large bulky objects... this in turn will make your diorama more realistic...
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 11:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
wychdoctor92394 - You're right, that would be much easier. However, the reason I am doing them in the water is because I strongly dislike the BMD suspension and the fixed suspension arms of the Dragon BMP-1s. I am planning another water themed diorama so keep an eye on my blog after Telford
Thanks again
Euan
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi guys, sorry for the delay. Got the vehicles set in and just need the water effects to arrive. More pics etc on my blog.
Thanks
Euan

DSCF6029

DSCF6040

DSCF6043
 _GOTOTOP