_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
English in Basrah
Closed
Visit this Community
Kabul, Afghanistan
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hello ,

Here is a new diorama. It's an english dog patrol in Basrah in Irak .

Sorry but I don't own a numeric camera , only a pad phone (like this : https://www.google.fr/search?q=samsung+phone&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=fr&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=uLRAUrqeCfDo7Aamn4HwCQ )

Pictures :

Thanks
repynot
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 09:50 AM UTC
Looks nice... But way to clean
The streets in Basra was littered with sand and garbage.

And the houses looked more worn, a little weathering and you are there.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks nice... But way to clean
The streets in Basra was littered with sand and garbage.

And the houses looked more worn, a little weathering and you are there.

too clean and way too grey (= not enough sand)!
Also the link between zero and that biiig (and a bit crude) garbage is missing (empty bottles and cans, o.s.).

Nothing that cannot be easily corrected!

Otherwise nice job!

Cheers

Romain
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 12:38 PM UTC
Out of curiosity is this supposed to be Op Granby or Op Telic?
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 03:58 PM UTC
Firstly saying English in Basra is a definite no-no. It is the British Army (of which I was a proud member) not the English army. It is comprised of English, Scots, Welsh and Irish all of whom served in Iraq.

The reason why I asked if it was Granby or Telic? There were no British forces in Basra in 1991 only in 2003 therefore the figures are wrong on so many levels. They are wearing NBC suits which would have been right for Granby considering that there was a threat of chemical weapons but on that basis you've got British troops in the wrong location. It would be like putting Japanese troops in the Ardennes 1944. Also they would not be wearing OG PLCE as DPM was in use then albeit in temperate colours.

If you are trying to depict Telic they would not be wearing NBC suits and would have desert DPM webbing and be wearing body armour.

Why is the dog handler holding his weapon by the magazine? As an ex-British Army weapons instructor I can honestly say I didn't even see a recruit do that let alone someone expecting to come under contact. You cannot physically hold an SA80 by it's mag and carry it let alone run with it. Why are there no slings on the weapons? The SA80 sling is a brilliant bit of kit which means that the weapon never leaves your body and is part of the weapon system.

Sorry to appear negative but this mini dio has more holes in it than a collander. Both Gulf Wars are easily researchable on the net but it would appear you've done no research whatsoever as everything is wrong. The kit, the location etc. A dio is supposed to tell a story. This is just some Dragon figures running up a very clean street. I've been on FIBUA ranges that look scruffier than that rather than somewhere that's been exposed to heavy fighting. If you post something up expect negative critiques as well as positive. Sorry no cigar today.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 07:52 PM UTC
OK OK as a diorama its heading in the right direction,as Karl points out the figures are from the wrong time period,but until a major plastic manufacturer brings out the correct figures i think many people will use the dragon figures(resin figures are poping up but so are the prices)converting figures is an option but unless you are an expert on brit kit or Karl you may struggle,ive tried to figure out what some squaddies are wearing in pics but each load out seems to differ.
On a plus side the painting is to a very high level even the dog is well detailed,to compleate the diorama i would add some gloss varnish etc around the drain and some rubbish like old news papers torn card boxs cans etc,for the road sand might be too heavy unless you can find a fine version model rail road?i would suggest grimy pigment round the rubbish pile the curb and building.
Closed
Visit this Community
Kabul, Afghanistan
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hello , thanks for your opinion .

I read all opinions to correct my diorama
 _GOTOTOP