_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Tank hunter
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 03:27 AM UTC
A 1/35 vignette of a German Marder tank destroyer.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
Shall I nit-pik? You've got SS camo pattern on the helmets, but the crew are wearing regular army style collar patches. The rust on the exhaust isn't bad, but whatever you used for texture is a little coarse. The straps for the respirator cases look too long. There are still molding seams visible on the figs. ( If you can find them, Tristar makes an excellent Marder crew set in action). On the plus side, you've done some very fine painting on the shoulder strap details and collar patches - you've got a fine eye and steady hand.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 05:19 AM UTC
I can agree with the above comments but still say,once again,every single thing I see you post gets better and better in some way,big or small. Cool. You are making me try to improve.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can agree with the above comments but still say,once again,every single thing I see you post gets better and better in some way,big or small. Cool. You are making me try to improve.
J

Hi Gerry,

d'accord with the other gentlemen!! You have a steady hand, although I suspect the shoulder straps to be decals!?!?

Your weathering of the Marder looks promising indeed!! You are getting better no doubt!

The major mishaps are very hard to understand though....just why should a vehicle crew have camoed helmets?? And then they don't match the uniforms!!???

And that poor exhaust, got the pox somewhere..! Take 5 mins and look at the real thing. You have that possibility, use it!!

Don't forget that tanks are tearing into the soil, so there is always a rest of dirt/soil lodged in the tracks, even if (you are right!) the top side/edge can be quite shiny!

And while we are at it...take a quick look at your terrain and "measure" the length/colour of the grass blades in both variants...not realistic! More unrevelled hemp in bigger clumps in shorter lengths towards the outside, not (necessarily) in light cream colour. They blend in much easier, and the whole thing suddenly looks convincing, not like a Zen garden!
Static grass is always sold in an unnatural bright green colour mix. Take an old toothbrush and some cheap water colour and sprinkle it on. It's done in no time and it looks great. Try it, you'll like it!!
Improvement in including both small rocks AND tree stumps/parts though!!

Now if you think we want to annoy/discourage you....you should hear me criticize my own former efforts!! Every tiny bit that's not convincing is pointed out! And I always find things, believe me!

Keep posting!!

Cheers

Romain

Isaella2
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 08:26 PM UTC
Like unshaven face. Good work..
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 03:06 AM UTC
Another thing I failed to notice in the final photo above (although it's right in your face!) is that the muzzle of the gun barrel is not quite aligned. The whole muzzle brake is slightly lop-sided. If you miss that during construction and still want to correct it before painting, just ream out the hole SLIGHTLY to even it out. Even if it's a bit larger diameter than before it will still look better completely circular. Then putty and sand the rest of the muzzle brake join to even that out too. On the plus side, your wear and tear and weathering on the vehicle looks promising. Check out other modeler's work and techniques for helpful hints.
Note: Chains were never a part of German vehicle's normal stowage; as a matter of fact, except for small chains on caps and retaining pins, etc., chains as large as yours were rarely, if ever, seen. Germans always used steel cable for towing as they are much stronger than chain.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hey Gerry. I hope you don't feel bad from my continuous criticisms. I, and just about every other modeler here, are guilty of the same errors in our early work.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gerry. I hope you don't feel bad from my continuous criticisms. I, and just about every other modeler here, are guilty of the same errors in our early work.

Not only my "early work" I'm afraid!

minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 06:33 AM UTC
GHarley,
Nice model. You have the construction and (as far as I can tell under the netting) the painting down. Most of the critiques thus far are exceedingly 'fixable' through research and technique - such as the SS camo on the helmets, 'crunchy' rust and the long straps on the gasmask canisters. Overall, a very nice build that is easily tweaked into a truly good build. I agree on the question of the long vs. short grass. Whenever I am planning a scene with natural groundwork, I go to the best research material out there - Mother Nature. Take a walk down a country road or in the woods or a park. Really look at the way the grass grows and how it changes in height, color, density, etc. Second best, look at images online. My one comment on the build, in terms of what stood out to me, are the two different camo nets. The one over the gun looks good and blends in well with the model. The one on the gunshield is quite bright green for my tastes, but that may be the result of the photos.

All in all, a very good 'base' model and starting groundwork. Like many have said, we have all made these kind of research andor 'scale' errors. I would say to make note of these and keep them in mind on your next build!

Stephen (Minas-Ithil)
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shall I nit-pik? You've got SS camo pattern on the helmets, but the crew are wearing regular army style collar patches. The rust on the exhaust isn't bad, but whatever you used for texture is a little coarse. The straps for the respirator cases look too long. There are still molding seams visible on the figs. ( If you can find them, Tristar makes an excellent Marder crew set in action). On the plus side, you've done some very fine painting on the shoulder strap details and collar patches - you've got a fine eye and steady hand.

Biggles two

Thanks for looking and taking time to comment.

Oops I did do SS pattern helmet covers. Force of habit.

I used some textured paste for the rust and it may be too rough.

The straps are too long.

The Bain of my life mould seems.

I have taken on board your comments and have tried to sort some of them out (see MK2)

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

J

Jerry

Thanks for looking and taking time to comment.

I have tried to fix some of the glitches on this one (seeMK2)

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

Hi Gerry,

d'accord with the other gentlemen!! You have a steady hand, although I suspect the shoulder straps to be decals!?!?

Your weathering of the Marder looks promising indeed!! You are getting better no doubt!

The major mishaps are very hard to understand though....just why should a vehicle crew have camoed helmets?? And then they don't match the uniforms!!???

And that poor exhaust, got the pox somewhere..! Take 5 mins and look at the real thing. You have that possibility, use it!!

Don't forget that tanks are tearing into the soil, so there is always a rest of dirt/soil lodged in the tracks, even if (you are right!) the top side/edge can be quite shiny!

And while we are at it...take a quick look at your terrain and "measure" the length/colour of the grass blades in both variants...not realistic! More unrevelled hemp in bigger clumps in shorter lengths towards the outside, not (necessarily) in light cream colour. They blend in much easier, and the whole thing suddenly looks convincing, not like a Zen garden!
Static grass is always sold in an unnatural bright green colour mix. Take an old toothbrush and some cheap water colour and sprinkle it on. It's done in no time and it looks great. Try it, you'll like it!!
Improvement in including both small rocks AND tree stumps/parts though!!

Now if you think we want to annoy/discourage you....you should hear me criticize my own former efforts!! Every tiny bit that's not convincing is pointed out! And I always find things, believe me!

Keep posting!!

Cheers

Romain

Romain

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

I agree with most of your comments and have tried to fix them (seeMK2)

You are right the shoulder patches are transfers. (Wish I could paint them like that)

The only thing I do not agree with is the tracks.

You are correct if the tank had been on soft or muddy ground but if they have been on hard packed dirt or Tarmac roads they do not have bits or debris between them as it comes out on the hard surface.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Like unshaven face. Good work..

Earnie

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Biggles two

Not a bit.

I cherish your and others opinions as how else do you improve.

Always better to get your work scrutinised as there are things you miss.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

GHarley,
Nice model. You have the construction and (as far as I can tell under the netting) the painting down. Most of the critiques thus far are exceedingly 'fixable' through research and technique - such as the SS camo on the helmets, 'crunchy' rust and the long straps on the gasmask canisters. Overall, a very nice build that is easily tweaked into a truly good build. I agree on the question of the long vs. short grass. Whenever I am planning a scene with natural groundwork, I go to the best research material out there - Mother Nature. Take a walk down a country road or in the woods or a park. Really look at the way the grass grows and how it changes in height, color, density, etc. Second best, look at images online. My one comment on the build, in terms of what stood out to me, are the two different camo nets. The one over the gun looks good and blends in well with the model. The one on the gunshield is quite bright green for my tastes, but that may be the result of the photos.

All in all, a very good 'base' model and starting groundwork. Like many have said, we have all made these kind of research andor 'scale' errors. I would say to make note of these and keep them in mind on your next build!

Stephen (Minas-Ithil)

Stephen

I have tried to fix some of the issues (see MK two)

Cheers

Gerry
wychdoctor92394
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Despite the criticism, look at it this way; if you're happy with your efforts and you're not entered into a modeling competition, who cares if the helmets aren't correct?
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Despite the criticism, look at it this way; if you're happy with your efforts and you're not entered into a modeling competition, who cares if the helmets aren't correct?

James

Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply.

I appreciate your sentiment which is quite right.

I also appreciate the feedback which is given in good faith as it can only make myself a better builder.

There are things that can be overlooked or just plain wrong as you do not think about them at the time.

To have them pointed out in a constructive way I think is a good thing.

Cheers

Gerry
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 01:19 PM UTC
Gerry-- nice job on the tool set. What paints did you use to get the wood effect?
thanks
DJ
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gerry-- nice job on the tool set. What paints did you use to get the wood effect?
thanks
DJ

DJ

I used Tamiya buff for the base coat of the wooden handles and then washes with thinned down burnt umber oil paint until they look about right.

Cheers

Gerry
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC
Even equipment such as the gas mask containers, mess kits and canteens get a lot of use and banging around. Give these items a black oil wash to delineate and separate detail, and put some scratches and chipping on the painted items.
 _GOTOTOP