_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55A
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:44 AM UTC
Looking for opinions (don't be shy!) on the best T-55A kit currently available. Should I put the new Tamiya kit on my Christmas wish list?
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
The Tamiya kit is about the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on. If any modeler out there does not have this kit yet they should put it on their wish list.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hi. No problem here. Tamiya. And get a set of Fruilmodel tracks to go with it. Doesn't get any better than this, unless you want to try some of the after-market undates to convert this kit into other options (which means more kits). Oh yeah, some small wire to add the gas tank lines too. Dont really thing you can go wrong with any Tamiya kit. Even the old ones offer the good basics for undating to present standards, if you wish to.

Take care, sgirty
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
Completley agree, beautiful kit. 10 out of 10. The engine deck screens are wrong for non-soviet models.

I'd go with the WWII Productions resin click link tracks as my first choice, Modelkatsten as my second.
The new Fruil tracks -pinned type- are NOT handed. So for one side the open end of the link the pin goes in is hidden agains the hull and on the other side it is exposed.

WWII productions are the heirs to the Anvil line, and make BEAUTIFUL resin links that click together and stay workable!
Check the Perth mil min site for a review.

Mike
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
hi if you buy the tamiya t 55 , remember you can only build a russian version as the engine deck is wrong for polish or czech versions , also the add on parts listed for those versions need carefull study by type and country . If you do need to build any of the other versions then buy the new book from wings and wheels publications on the t 55 series it has 190 pages with 919 photos and 59 black and white line drawings , isbn no is 80-86416-35-6 due in the book dealers any time , i am working a full review for the web site , cheers ian
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 10:10 AM UTC
The Tamiya kit is the only way to fly
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 11:59 PM UTC
Don't forget the Pe set spend that money. (++) (++) (++) (:-)
okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:12 AM UTC
Jeff,

I'm not sure you even need PE with this puppy...

What to do, what to do... So many T-55 conversions, so little time...

Tiran, M-55, T-55AMV, T-55M5, T-54, BTR-T, MT-55A... #:-)

Cheers

Olaf
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC
Yes: I have the T-55 on my wish list too. BUT I have HEARD that the DRAGON KIT is a good choice too.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes: I have the T-55 on my wish list too. BUT I have HEARD that the DRAGON KIT is a good choice too.

DRAGON DOESN"T MAKE A T-55
yorkie
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 03:34 PM UTC
If you don't own one already, time to get at least 3.

This is one of the best plastic kit out there. Don't waste your hard earned money on PE set, the details of this kit is so good, you won't see much difference with those PE, after some good painting.

It is so well-engineered and you can finish it OOTB in a couple days. The only mod I think neccessory is adding some fuel pipes and wires.

If you want to build some variants, CMK T-55AM2 is real nice. (ARMO, Panzershop and CMK all make conversions for the t-55am, CMK is the best - I have the Panzershop and CMK ones, Armo one simply didn't impress me)
 _GOTOTOP