_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
It's one of ours
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 09:31 PM UTC
A 1/35 diorama of a German Flak 38 deployed in a ground role.

oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi Gerry. Once again, a great job! Good composition/layout. Really tells the story. The only thing I see is that you need to drill out the barrels on the flak guns.

Jesse
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC
I agree - excellent dio. If you wanted to, how would the snow in front of and below the lower gun barrels be affected by the weapon firing? I see you have recently spent brass casings in the floor area so the gun has been in action since the snow fell.. Just asking.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gerry. Once again, a great job! Good composition/layout. Really tells the story. The only thing I see is that you need to drill out the barrels on the flak guns.

Jesse

Jesse

Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply.

I will attempt to drill out the barells at some stage as it is not something I am comfortable doing yet. Always seem to get it wrong.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree - excellent dio. If you wanted to, how would the snow in front of and below the lower gun barrels be affected by the weapon firing? I see you have recently spent brass casings in the floor area so the gun has been in action since the snow fell.. Just asking.

Sandbox

If the snow was hard packed and icy then I do not think the firing of the gun would make it move. some of the temperatures in Russia dropped to minus 50 making snow like iron.

Not being a military man or having experience with guns I am asuming this would be the case. I may be wrong.

Cheers

Gerry
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 03:25 AM UTC
Nice chipping and weathering! Flakvierlings were not usually emplaced in the front lines (although there are pics of single 20mm's and 37mm's in use as anti-personal and light vehicles) where they would be liable to enemy tank attack, as they were primarily AA, so the presence of Panzerfausts and magnetic AT mines is debatable. Maybe if you had extended your dio a bit on either side with more infantry and an MG position in a continuous trench, it would show the weapon as being in the front lines. And drill out those gun barrels and flash suppressors! Well-done and accurate looking gun position. And the snow looks good too!
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice chipping and weathering! Flakvierlings were not usually emplaced in the front lines (although there are pics of single 20mm's and 37mm's in use as anti-personal and light vehicles) where they would be liable to enemy tank attack, as they were primarily AA, so the presence of Panzerfausts and magnetic AT mines is debatable. Maybe if you had extended your dio a bit on either side with more infantry and an MG position in a continuous trench, it would show the weapon as being in the front lines. And drill out those gun barrels and flash suppressors! Well-done and accurate looking gun position. And the snow looks good too!

Biggles 2

I appreciate what you are saying and as I said above drilling and I are not working at the moment although I hope to get better at it.

The position is supposed to represent a hastily thrown up defence which were common in the fast flowing battles of the Eastern front with all equipment used as a stop gap including flak guns as anti personel weapons.

The mines,panzerfausts, and MG 42 would have been available for close defence as the Russians tended to attack in waves of infantry and tanks.

Cheers

Gerry

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 08:17 AM UTC

Hi Gerry,

great effort Sir!

First the pros:

- super snow effect, especially in the pit (looks icy, slippery and dirty, super!!!)
- nice chipping on the cans
- great paintjob on the shield!!
- love the wood planks (although they are a bit too brown)
- good composition, no blind spots!

and then the weak points

- chipping on the cans, but no shading/weathering on gas mask cases f.ex.
- the seams are black, painted in normal colour!! A real no-go, especially when the uniforms are white! Do yourself a favour...use heavily diluted oil colour (grey-brown) and let it flow into the seams/creases. Helps also to get rid of the perfect-wash white. All this quick and easy!!
- MG42 and mines are too "Verlinden", i.e. leave equipment lying around. These weapons are not organic for Flak units, so who is manning them? Flak crews are not trained to fight as infantry, and are not supposed to do so.
- You have included small clumps of high grass in (nearly) regular intervals...not realistic remember!
- The metallic colour you are using does not produce realistic surfaces (barrels f.ex.)! Maybe you should use something different.
- The black lines delimitating straps are too uniform. They look more like painted on. Uniforms are "soft", so these lines should vary in aspect over the whole length.

Definitely one of your best!!!

Not bad at all!

Cheers

Romain

panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
Love the weathering on the gun, really really well done. Landscape is awesome as well.

The scene reminds me of Otto Carius's book. He talked about a 38 being used at the front line up there.

-Conor
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 07:49 PM UTC
Quite a nice little dio but a couple of things bothering me. The officer is Wehrmacht from the insignia on his peaked cap however you've got them in reversible smocks with a made up camo pattern on the inside. Wehrmacht reversible smocks were mouse grey to white and vice versa. The SS had reversible smocks with a camo pattern (usually oak leaf) on the reverse. I wouldn't say that's a hastily built position as it's well protected and is a uniform shape and is well excavated. Also why do all your figures always have beards? Not something you'd see an awful lot of apart from somewhere like North Africa with Long Range patrols ( SAS, LRDG) where water was at a premium. These guys are surrounded by snow so no excuse for not shaving
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gerry,

great effort Sir!

First the pros:

- super snow effect, especially in the pit (looks icy, slippery and dirty, super!!!)
- nice chipping on the cans
- great paintjob on the shield!!
- love the wood planks (although they are a bit too brown)
- good composition, no blind spots!

and then the weak points

- chipping on the cans, but no shading/weathering on gas mask cases f.ex.
- the seams are black, painted in normal colour!! A real no-go, especially when the uniforms are white! Do yourself a favour...use heavily diluted oil colour (grey-brown) and let it flow into the seams/creases. Helps also to get rid of the perfect-wash white. All this quick and easy!!
- MG42 and mines are too "Verlinden", i.e. leave equipment lying around. These weapons are not organic for Flak units, so who is manning them? Flak crews are not trained to fight as infantry, and are not supposed to do so.
- You have included small clumps of high grass in (nearly) regular intervals...not realistic remember!
- The metallic colour you are using does not produce realistic surfaces (barrels f.ex.)! Maybe you should use something different.
- The black lines delimitating straps are too uniform. They look more like painted on. Uniforms are "soft", so these lines should vary in aspect over the whole length.

Definitely one of your best!!!

Not bad at all!

Cheers

Romain

Romain

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Tips as usual first class.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love the weathering on the gun, really really well done. Landscape is awesome as well.

The scene reminds me of Otto Carius's book. He talked about a 38 being used at the front line up there.

-Conor

Conor

Thanks for looking and taking the time to coment.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gery
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite a nice little dio but a couple of things bothering me. The officer is Wehrmacht from the insignia on his peaked cap however you've got them in reversible smocks with a made up camo pattern on the inside. Wehrmacht reversible smocks were mouse grey to white and vice versa. The SS had reversible smocks with a camo pattern (usually oak leaf) on the reverse. I wouldn't say that's a hastily built position as it's well protected and is a uniform shape and is well excavated. Also why do all your figures always have beards? Not something you'd see an awful lot of apart from somewhere like North Africa with Long Range patrols ( SAS, LRDG) where water was at a premium. These guys are surrounded by snow so no excuse for not shaving

Erichvon

Thanks for looking and taking the time to coment.

The patern on reversable suits are Wermacht and was copied from artwork.

The position is supposed to represent a defence work set up during the flowing battles of the eastern front. The Germans by this time were experts at throwing up this type of defences.

Most men of the German army during these times were so busy fighting,retreating, and trying to stay alive that the need to keep clean and tidy were forgoten about.

I think beards gives the impresion of desperate times and better things to do than shave.

Most contemprary pictures and films of the latter days of the war on the eastern front never shows clean shaven Hitler youth types.

Cheers

Gerry
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

These guys are surrounded by snow so no excuse for not shaving

There are plenty of war time pics of both Allied and Axis troops from the jungles of SE Asia to NW Europe and the Eastern Front with soldiers of both sides being unshaven and having beards and mustachios. Maybe the higher command thought as you, but then they didn't serve in the field.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wehrmacht reversible smocks were mouse grey to white and vice versa.

Jerry's right on this one. The gun crew are wearing the army snow suit and not camo smocks. The two piece Wehrmacht snow suit was reversible from white to splinter pattern. The 'Kharkov' anorak, on the other hand, was single sided and came in varying shades from field gray to brownish gray and grayish greens. Wehrmacht camo smocks were more similar to SS style except they had a hood, drawstring waist instead of elastic, and had button tabs at the cuff.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
First of all , my compliments on a dio that is far better than most dios we see posted. The painting is excellent. Only two things stood out and grabbed me on the negative side. One was the mold line that you forgot to scrape off on the machine gun and the other was the spent shells. The spent shells look like they were cut off the rod stock with snips, giving it a crushed look .Use a sharp new hobby knife for a cleaner cut and paint one end of the cut shell , black. One other thing.............if the gun were to traverse around to the rear, it would knock over the rifles and hit the boxes too. Thank you for sharing.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First of all , my compliments on a dio that is far better than most dios we see posted. The painting is excellent. Only two things stood out and grabbed me on the negative side. One was the mold line that you forgot to scrape off on the machine gun and the other was the spent shells. The spent shells look like they were cut off the rod stock with snips, giving it a crushed look .Use a sharp new hobby knife for a cleaner cut and paint one end of the cut shell , black. One other thing.............if the gun were to traverse around to the rear, it would knock over the rifles and hit the boxes too. Thank you for sharing.

Alfred

Oops I did not see the mould line on the gun I will sort that.

The shell casings are cut from brass coloured paperclips and I agree that it leaves a flattened bit at the end but modeling on a budget I have to make some compromises.

I agree the gun would knock over the rifles if traversed right round to the back but it will not knock over the boxes as I tried it before placing the rifles.

Cheers

Gerry
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 12:42 PM UTC
You can get plastic rod stock of several diameters, from model railroad shops if you can't find it in regular hobby shops. Cuts clean with a hobby knife.I enjoyed your dio.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can get plastic rod stock of several diameters, from model railroad shops if you can't find it in regular hobby shops. Cuts clean with a hobby knife.I enjoyed your dio.

..and don't forget the old zero cost method of "recycling" the runners of our model kits....heat, draw out to desired diameter, let cool off, paint brass..and cut to pieces!
Voilà!

(comes from a period when things were not always available to buy like today )

Cheers

Romain
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hi Gerry,

You have received a great deal of great tips and comments - I would not have thought to thin the snow under the muzzels! - so I'll just tell you that I think you've got a fine dio here. Everyone else have shared great ideas that will help anyone who follows this thread.

There are so many subtle things to miss in a diorama. It looks like you had fun with it. The weathering is great and the figures look cold, miserable, and stressed.

My compliments!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(comes from a period when things were not always available to buy like today

I well recall those days!