_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
recommendations on an M1A1 kit?
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
Looks like there are a few out there, anyone have any they liked or dis-liked? I've been working on mostly aircraft but I just finished Tamiya's M4A /75 mm Sherman and damned if I don't like how cool armor is.....

Thanks for your recommendations on an M1A1 kit and any other kits you feel an armor newbie might like.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 03:57 AM UTC
The easiest M1A1 kit to build is the Tamiya kit, with or without mine plow. It is also the most expensive at $30+. Only comes with vinyl tracks and they are the early type. It will produce a good Desert Storm or late Cold War USAREUR tank.

The Trumpeter ones are nicely detailed, although I think the detail is kind of soft. They package them with and without mine roller or mine plow. Some are even motorized, all are basically the same kit. They have the option of vinyl tracks or link & length tracks. The tracks are the later type. These kits run $16-25 depending on the accessories (like plow, roller, motorization).

DML makes several M1A1s, again with and without mine plow, a USMC version with wading trunks, a version with full crew and partial interior. They come with single link tracks of the later type. Most of these kits run in the $20 range. Detail is nice, fit is a bit fidgety.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 04:40 AM UTC
Well Nailz, to answer your last question. I would try my hands on an Academy M113. either the Vietnam or Modern version. Both excelent kits with lots of goodies. If your feeling ambitious and want something to go with your Sherman, try building a Tamiya Dragon Wagon.
after you decide what M1A1 kit you want to get, there are tons of aftermarket stuff for them. Things like an engine, photo etch, individual tracks, accessory sets, and aluminum barrels.
Nailz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the recommendations guys, and I will look at the M113 as well. One more question, where do you guys buy online? I have purchased from Squadron before, just wondering if you guys go there or recommend other places as well.

Thanks again!

Marty
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:38 AM UTC
Up here in Canada, this is the first place I turn to when it comes to my modelling needs.

http://www.militaryhobbies.com/

But it's never a bad idea to also look around your local hobby shops to compare prices. My local hobby stores can be $10-$20 cheaper than the internet, and vice versa.

Simon
lightningdon
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:44 AM UTC
Nailz, Most of my online armor comes from either Roll Models or Hobbyland
Usually the best prices around.

Don
Nailz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 01:37 PM UTC
Great, thanks! I'll check them out....

Marty
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 01:17 AM UTC
Well NAILZ, I think I got it better, I work part time at a Hobby Shop. The down side with that, is my check goes right back to the boss. #:-) #:-)
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
Nailz,
Although this might not be the case for everybody, it is for me. If there is a local model club that is having a contest in your area, check into it to see of there are going to be vendors (AKA guys getting rid of there stuff) attending. I have made some major scores at contests. A good example is the DML Scud launcher for $10.still sealed, some large scale figures (120mm) for $5-8. It can vary though too, so be aware of that. I have amassed most of my fortune in models at these contests. Great chance to talk with other builders too. Another web site you can check out is Greatmodels.com. Some follks say they have had problems with them. I for one haven't . Just another site for you to check into. Hopethis helps. "Q"
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC
I have used both Squadron and Great Models. Squadron usually ships faster, but selection is more limited. Great Models often has items that Squadron does not, but you may have to wait a couple of days for all items to be in stock, before they ship it. Otherwise, no problems with either.
Nailz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 06:20 AM UTC
I found another site as well... internethobbies.com, looked pretty decent. It appears that hobbyland is the cheapest, although they don't have a single picture of anything. It's nice to be able to see what you are buying, hard to tell by just a model number so I will probably look at some of the pretty pictures on the other sites and go with you fine folks' recommendations for models and give hobbyland a shot.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 08:26 AM UTC
Check out the great model webstore. No problems with your orders, if time is not a problem sometimes and by far the best.... you can see what you are buying. They also have reviews on certain subjects and a link to add-ons/accessories.
 _GOTOTOP