_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Before Building
Ideas, concepts, and researching your next diorama.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help me figure out this IDF diorama...
meowmonster
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 05:23 PM UTC
I'm planning a diorama comprising a decently large area (a few buildings worth) of al-Qaeda/al-Shabaab terrorists in an urban area with IDF working to resolve the situation. I'm planning to use a Merkava IIID LIC as one of the personnel movers, but not sure if I should go with something like a Puma or even the Akrav with its very specialized capabilities to try to get the drop on them. I am including some of the robots/drones the IDF employs in an attempt to sort out what's going on, but I'm not sure if I want to show people already downed or not. This is not my first diorama, certainly not my first art piece involving controversy and while I am completely unafraid of controversy, disrespect for the subject or glorification of fighting are not my intent. I want to portray why those men and women serve and fight like they do-because the other side doesn't play fair.

I want to make it as accurate as I can without doing something like breaching OPSEC or disrespecting the soldiers, so I'm trying at this point to gather as much info as possible on how to portray it and how to treat the subject with respect. My idea is to show the IDF engineering unit Yahalom using their expertise and equipment in a place where the tank can't fire it's main gun to easily resolve the situation. I'm more interested in tension than blood splatters, though I won't rule them out if it fits into the diorama without breaking the scene.

The idea of an apartment building keeps recurring, as it's something they couldn't just fire the main gun at it-there's way too much collateral damage. Even the .50 on the turret is too much-they were surprised by a terror cell in an unexpected place, and they're the type with the firepower and motivation to take out the tank if they can't be pinned down in time.

Could someone who knows more about work like this please tell me what I'm missing in my setup? My interest is in being respectful of the men and women who serve while doing this-I could respect an opposing army, but I'm seeing this as the kind of people that strap bombs to kids, not an equal footing fight at all. I know what group fields the robots for this kind of fighting, but who would be working with them, and would the vertical layout bring the most out of this diorama?

I'm woolgathering as they say at this point while I work on my Merkava and robots. I won't do it if I think it's stooping, or if it proves that it's disrespectful or something like that. I don't seek to shock for shock's sake, if that makes any sense. I want to recreate the horror I felt honestly when I heard about the Kenya terrorists giving a kid a candy bar and telling him his family had to convert to Islam, and the kid asking them why they were monsters. To me that was more terrifying than the senseless killing.

I want to keep this more about implied terror than overt bloodshed if possible-do you guys think it's worth trying?
WARPEE
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 01:51 PM UTC
Well, not being a former IDF soldier, I can't help you on tactics and such...But, If I was getting sniped at, I'd be using that Merkava as cover, and maybe using a 7.62MM MAG to put down some covering fire, while my buds are running up to the main door of the flat...That's my two cents...No idea how they use drones/robots...Dragon made some good IDF soldiers back in the day, if you can get some on E Bay, etc. Of course, what the heck do I know? I was an Air Force Cop...
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 02:28 PM UTC
I would first ensure you don't make the diorama too busy. Sometimes less is more, as the saying goes.

If you wanted to include a robot or drone, a possible scenario could include:

-IDF discovers a suspicious "package" or vehicle that would require the engineers to send in a bomb disposal robot.
-Just like in the movie "the hurt locker" the robot could possibly crap out which requires an engineer to come in with his suit
-The Merkava could be providing close security, with another softer skinned vehicle belonging to the engineers close by (not sure what they would use)
-As the engineer approaches, he could be injured by hidden terrorists who were overwatching the area.
-If the Merkava can't use it's weapons due to close quarters or the terrorists are up high (Co-ax MG can't elivate enough), the engineer vehicle could lay suppressing fire with a MAG.

Just my twwo cnets. Your diorama sounds very interesting. can't wait to see it.
 _GOTOTOP