_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Gulf War M109A2 Stowage up?
DonnyT
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi Guys, i am trying to look for photos of M109A2 loaded up to go with my AFV club build, preferbly durng the Gulf War era but seems like google did not turn up good pics of what i want.

I have seen many good pics of the A6 with stowage but not the A2.

Hope anyone can help to send me some good reference pics of a loaded M109A2.

Thanks in advance....
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 04:45 AM UTC
They didn't carry a lot of gear on them. The only areas that you could put gear was in the rear stowage baskets and on top of the rear of the turret. Here is one to illustrate it.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 05:11 AM UTC
More ODS M109s of the 3rd Armored Division :

H.P.
DonnyT
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
Thanks Gino, Frenchy.... hope i can get a closer shot of the stowage.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hi Donny,

Keep in mind that artillery units consist of quite a 'train', every gun has its supply vehicle, next to the fact that a battery also has quite some vehicles, which are directly connected to the battery or the battalion. This creates quite some transport facilities for all stuff, which is not directly related to execution of the fire support role of the single gun ( and the battery!).
If you also keep in mind that artillery units are in the second line, so, the need to carry around all sorts of goods to ' survive' longer periods, is less. Back up by support units is much more guaranteed. Artillery ammo takes substantial space, which means that only restricted amounts can be carried by the unit itself. This automaticallt implies that a good logistic lines is a priority. And together with the ammo, the food and the rest comes in. ( A gunner's life can be sooooooooooooooo easy LOL )

My battery howitsers carried around camo nets, tarpaulins to protect ammo agiainst weather influences and sleeping bags for the crew. Next to that, the personal bags were limited to its smallest form. All the rest to make life easier in the field was kept in the train.

DonnyT
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC
Thanks Paul for sharing....
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My battery howitsers carried around camo nets...

Note in Frenchy's photos you can see two vehicles with the cammo poles carries on the side of the vehicle. To do this make straps that are attached to the bolts on the sides of the hull. The poles are segmented. I forget which size aluminum tubing to use, but it's perfect as the tubes were aluminum in real life. You can also use those bolts to hang some personal equipment if you like.
 _GOTOTOP