Hosted by Darren Baker
M123 Tractor Tire Size?
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC
Just returned from a trip to Ft Eustis where I visited the Transportation Corps museum. While visiting the Truck section, I noticed a M123 tractor there and it reminded me of the Tank Workshop resin kit I built about 20 years ago now.

Something about the model didn't look right and I moved the item to the back shelf. I realize now that the 1:1 scale item had front wheel/tire assemblies that were considerably taller than those used on the twin axles on the rear! That's where the visual from the kit didn't line up.

Can someone provide the scale equivalent of the front tire/wheel unit, and possibly a source? I believe I'll also have to consider changing the height of the front axle to accommodate the different size front wheels.

Waiting for the Gama Goat to be delivered!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 08:15 AM UTC
According to TM-55-2320-206-20-1 the M123 is fitted with 14.00 X 24 tires ...just like the WW2 M26 tractor truck. Maybe you could consider using modified M26 wheels for your project ?

PS : the TM doesn't show any size difference between the front and rear wheels...

H.P.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 08:25 AM UTC
As Frenchy says, the tires were 14.00 x 24 and the same ones as on the M26 tank transporter. The front were the same size as the rear. The museum piece is not totally accurate, which is often the case. Also, Tank Workshop's tires are correct in size. I used a set on my scratch M123 when the rubber wheels from Tamiya's Dragon Wagon kit started breaking apart on it.
Havoc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 02:50 PM UTC
Heya, Jim,

I hope that life and work is good!!

Was the Army's ACV on display at the Museum? If so did'ja get any pix?

Weren't you working on a GOER a ways back...? Waiting on a Gama Goat as well --- I'll make sure that I don't "get yer Goat" as it were...

WIth Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
m75
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC
Oh Johnny, you know there's always something more pressing for my time...

I was visiting the museum following some training and no pictures as a result. I just remember those tires on the front axle as being HUGE....

Re-arranged the office-hobby-room last year and still haven't re-established the model-making part yet. So, as a result, interest remains high but no super glue action yet.

Yes I finished the GOER some time ago, with the PSM Gama Goat to keep it company. I have a Tamiya Goat en route from Japan now, with the Vietnam Version M151 following when in stock. I would not be surprised anymore to see a GOER in plastic, the way things are progressing in the hobby.

The civilian job comes to an end in December, while the Army is still keeping me more than busy; two full-time jobs doesn't leave time for models or Wife, and both are unhappy as a result.

The local hobby shop in B has invited me to work there part-time after the current job wraps up. Hmmmmm.

Hope all is well.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP