_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Reposted: 1/35 Diorama "Protecting the Wall"
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hello Everyone
I am reposting this topic because I just Armorama and seem to have messed up the last forum topic I made but I am hopefully getting it now.
I am Hussein from Egypt a beginner modeler and i'm posting here my first ever Scale model and Diorama project.
"Protecting the Wall" 1/35 Diorama with M1A2 Abrams TuskII from Tamiya and a base from www.dioramania.com
I invite you also to watch the full youtube video of the making process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZscMiOMUn4k

I appreciate your opinion and comments in order to improve myself.
Thanks
Hussein
(P.S.: any ideas how to close the previous topic that i opened?)

spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi hussein
love the M1 very good,looks just like the tank in the picture.
The graphitti is very well done also,maybe you could do a step by step with translations for the arabic lettering?
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 12:47 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen,
I painted these Graphitti by hand, it has some motos of the Egyptian revolution such as: "Revolt" "Life, freedom & social justice" "peaceful"

helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
The part I enjoyed most Enjoyable part was the lower Tank Hull assembling and painting

helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC
The M1A2 Abrams in the streets of Cairo:

spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi again hussein
Just noticed your crew, pitty no manufacturer has released a modern set of egypt tank crew yet. Love the uniforms on your crew nicely done!
Sgt_Pickle
Visit this Community
Kaunas, Lithuania
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 08:57 AM UTC
Nicely done. I especially liked the graffiti. Only thing to note. Why TUSK and not a regular Abrams?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 09:28 AM UTC
It looks pretty good. Good job on the painting and graffiti. There are two things I see off though. One is the tank. Egypt doesn't have M1A2 SEPs and they don't use TUSK II. Egyptian Abrams are all M1A1 tanks. The second is the wall. The blocks look way too large and just too big for the scale.

Great first effort, so don't get discouraged. On the next one, a little more research might be helpful.

Great job overall. Keep up the good work.
Lazzarus78
Visit this Community
Switzerland
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi Hussein, looks pretty good for your first work. I wish mine had looked like that. Interesting, never thought about egyptian M1. Really nice.
Cheers Christoph
dimkaras
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hi Hussein it is absolutely great, been your first modeling adventure
The key is the research for everything we made, but also the fun must be on your priorities

Quoted Text

The blocks look way too large and just too big for the scale.

I would say that they are within specifications as there is no a particular dimension for this kind of cement blocks.
They are 32mm in 1:35 scale, approximately 1m in real size.
And yes, they could be a little smaller but they are not way too large.

Removed by original poster on 10/10/13 - 07:46:10 (GMT).
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 07:47 PM UTC
Hi Spooner,

Thanks for the info, you are right that there are no Egypt sets and I have to rely on old U.S. crews which dress very similar to our current troops and then I made my own mix of colors for the uniform.
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks pretty good. Good job on the painting and graffiti. There are two things I see off though. One is the tank. Egypt doesn't have M1A2 SEPs and they don't use TUSK II. Egyptian Abrams are all M1A1 tanks. The second is the wall. The blocks look way too large and just too big for the scale.

Great first effort, so don't get discouraged. On the next one, a little more research might be helpful.

Great job overall. Keep up the good work.

Hi Gino,
You are right it should be M1A2 Abrams without the Tusk armor, but I made this model some time before then I decided to make a Diorama and one thing led to the other, my next diorama which I will post soon has been well thought historically. But you have to admit that an M1A2 with the Tusk II upgrade is a lot sexier, you can't have it and not use it thanks for the tips.
As for the Block sizes that was done very accurately as these cement Blocks measure 1mx1m and are quite to accurate scale as Dimitris has shown in his post.
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Hussein, looks pretty good for your first work. I wish mine had looked like that. Interesting, never thought about egyptian M1. Really nice.
Cheers Christoph

Thanks Stubber
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC
The blocks still don't look right to me. They look too uniform and the rounded edges look like a child's building blocks. The actual concrete ones have very square edges from the forms they are poured in.

I disagree on the sexyness of the kit justifying it being used in a fictional setting. I would rather represent it realistically with the version Egypt has (M1A1), not a fictionalization of reality.

To each their own though.
dimkaras
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The blocks still don't look right to me. They look too uniform and the rounded edges look like a child's building blocks. The actual concrete ones have very square edges from the forms they are poured in.

To each their own though.

Yes, at last we agree that we ...disagree.
It's ok, the dialog is the soul of the democracy!

...but, let also the beginners have their own fun!

helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 01:27 AM UTC
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC
I am no pro on what tanks served where, and even though you proved your point well with the pictures, it seems the blocks just don't look right. And that guy up there. How did he get up there ? He would have to jump down about eight feet to get down assuming there is not an implied ladder somewhere off the diorama base. Other parts of the dio look very nice. Thank you for sharing.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hi Hussein. That is a very good first attempt and IMHO the concrete blocks look fine. One tip I would give you is to consider the stowage on the tank. Items just placed on a flat surface would very quickly fall off so just about everything has to be tied, strapped or wedged. For instance, the jerrycans on the side of the turret basket would have straps holding them in place. Just small points but if you consider them you can do a lot to improve a model. Keep up the good work!
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi Alfred, well it seems the concrete blocks caused a lot of arguments in the forum, but they are actually made this way and look kind of funny even in reality, but we have to follow reality in all cases.
regarding the soldier, please note that the dimensions of the block is around 110x110cm so it would be quite easy to climb as you can see from the photos even young boys climb them. Also it might not show in the diorama pictures but at the bottom of the blocks I placed a second row of blocks which is mainly intended as a step on to climb.
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hi Steve, thanks for your advice and you are right about tying the items which I noted in my next models.
One thing I wanted to ask about, would make the tying of the items just painted on them or would you use actual rope to tie them?
I have noted this in my other diorama as you can see here, used a small rope to tie some of the stuff together and painted ties on others on the M113A2
Every project I am learning so much

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Salaam Hussein,

Well, those cubes have stirred a big discussion, haven't they.
While I believe what I see (i.e. photographic evidence) and thus decide you are right regarding size and differing corners, I must admit that a little less "identical" look and positionning would have been advised.
Graffiti however are superb!
The wrong Abrams is not helping either, sorry!
All in all there is a lot of potential in your work.....and yes, there is always a huge lot to learn for each and all of us with every new project we start.
The "happy" times where a lack of info (think..!!...no web, maybe just one published book with a few pics) allowed us to build a kit or a little scene in one evening/weekend are definitely over .

Keep going strong!

Cheers

Romain

helkaissy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hi Romain
Thanks for your advice, indeed one learns a lot with every project.
I am actually very happy with discussion raised by this project especially that this my first ever model to make in my life and a first diorama so the fact that its worthy of such discussions makes me feel it is promising for better work in the future.
I learned a lot from everyone in the forum, mainly to study well photos and references before going into the actual execution is the first step for a succcessful model. So thank you to everyone even those who were a bit tough on me.
Cheers
Hussein
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Romain
Thanks for your advice, indeed one learns a lot with every project.
I am actually very happy with discussion raised by this project especially that this my first ever model to make in my life and a first diorama so the fact that its worthy of such discussions makes me feel it is promising for better work in the future.
I learned a lot from everyone in the forum, mainly to study well photos and references before going into the actual execution is the first step for a succcessful model. So thank you to everyone even those who were a bit tough on me.
Cheers
Hussein

Hi Hussein,

You have done homework for sure and your dio is definitely worth being commented!
The next step is how you strenghten your storyline. Even if you are "right", you may sometimes emphasize some aspects and lessen others, just in order to "make a stronger point", a bit like deciding which elements of a setting you display on stage and how you do so. After all, a theatre stage cannot show everything there is, only a selection.

Sweat on the faces and strong shadows can indicate a hot climate f. ex. (maybe also one guy drinking from a canteen?) . Anything helping to convey your idea is welcome.
In this you are like a movie director!

Cheers

Romain

_GOTOTOP