Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Airfix Sheridan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 10:44 AM UTC
I built the 1/72 scale Airfix M551A1 AR/AAV Sheridan for my IPMS group build "If it Floats." Couple of the plane guys didn't realize it was an amphibious tank. This is a fairly decent kit that is a little sparse on detail. It kit represents one of the prototype Sheridans and not a production vehicle. I wanted to update it to a version that was used during the Vietnam War.

One of the details I did to update the kit was replace the kit gun tube (open breech scavenger system) with a piece of styrene tubing to represent a later closed breech scavenger system tube.

I cut down the missile system tracking box and the backside of the searchlight. I added a stretched sprue searchlight cable using photos from the Hunnicutt book as a guide. I drilled out the coaxial machine gun and auxillary sight ports in the mantlet as well.

The sides of the hull were smooth and there was no delineation where the hull ended and the trim vane and swim barrier cover were. I scribed these using my handy dandy X-Acto scriber. I used the Hunnicutt Sheridan book and Squadron's in action book to determine where the hull panel lines needed to be added. After I scribed a groove into the proper place, I took a thin strand of stretched sprue and glued it in place. This method worked pretty good in replicating the panel lines.

I added the hull belly armor using a strip of styrene cut to the proper size. I then drilled out the five mounting holes and inserted whisker sized pieces of stretched sprue. An old heated screw driver provided enough heat to make the end of the sprue mushroom into a rivet. At this scale it is close enough to bolt head for me.

I added some old wedding veil mesh to the engine grills and drilled out all the tow hooks and lifting rings. I drilled a hole in the forward left side of the hull and added an external fire extinguisher T-handle with stretched sprue.

The worst part of the kit were the tracks. Since the Sheridan has unique tracks and aftermarket items for it are non-existant, I was stuck with them. I started with the assumption that the tracks would actually fit over the idler wheel, road wheels and drive sprocket. This was an incorrect assumption. Add to it the amount of sag the Sheridan has, and the problem is compunded even further.

The left side track has a gap that I had to hide under the #3 road wheel. I had to use transparent thread to join the tracks. I also used transparent thread and CA to tie down the tracks onto the top of the road wheels. Since I now knew the tracks would be super tight, I oblonged the grooves in the hubs of the drive sprocket and idler wheel so they would shift inwards slightly. Were I to build this kit again, I'd just move the mounting pins for the rear drive sprockets forward just a tad.

All in all a decent little kit that can be had for under $5.

I have plans to add the cupola chicken coop gun shields at a later date. I hope to get one of the ex-Esci Italeri M113 ACAVs and steal its gun shield. I'd also rework the smoke grenade launchers. I think I could have done more to detail them. I still have to fill the gap in the front idler wheel hub.

I'm trying to figure out how to take better shots using my digital camera by playing with the camera exposure settings and the amount of pixels. I will try to add some better shots later.

TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
Looks great!! If I can make it to the next meeting, bring it!! I'll get some good shots of it!

Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC
Looks great Maj G ! Neat litle kit. Be sure to bring it to the next Nordland meeting. Didn't the 82nd Airborne use these in Panama in 1989 for "Operation Just Cause" ?

Hows the Dragon Elefant coming along ? Keep up the good work.

Cheers !

Robert
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:23 PM UTC
Nice build Rob. I bought that kit on e-bay a while back, but your previous posts about the needed fixes have put me off building it for a while.
Does your camera have a macro mode? If so that should yeld better photos.
Nice looking Sheridan.
Chuck
Wanze
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:56 PM UTC
Hi Sabot,

Great build! I just got the airfix kit and will start on it in a few weeks. I have been wanting to build one but was hindered with the inaccuracies in the available kits. Will like to see more pics of your finished model. Also, can I ask your help when I start my project.

Best,
Wanze
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Sabot,

Great build! I just got the airfix kit and will start on it in a few weeks. I have been wanting to build one but was hindered with the inaccuracies in the available kits. Will like to see more pics of your finished model. Also, can I ask your help when I start my project.

Best,
Wanze

Sure, no problem. TUNA took additional photos of my kit. You can access them at the link at the very bottom of my post where it says "my gallery".

Very first thing to do is to move the mounting pins for the rear idler wheel inward. Drill a hole through both sides of the hull so you can insert a styrene rod to act as an axle. Should help on the tight fitting track problem.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:02 AM UTC
Cool. I was painting my Jaguar Sheridan yesterday. Looks great in small scale!

Gunnie
Red4
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
Alpenflage, yes in-deedy the Sheri was used in Panama. C Co, 3rd Battalion (ABN) 73d Armor dropped them in. When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in 92' I researched the unit and found out that my tank was the first to fire in Panama. It fired 4 HE rounds into the commandancia. I commanded that tank until it burned into Sicily DZ with no chutes sometime in 95'. That was a sad day for me. I still have a couple small parts from her. Folded the roadwheels like a twist off bottle top. Since Rob was so kind to post his experience building the Airfix kit, now I know what I am in for when I tackle this little guy. thanks for all the info Rob! "Q"
rjray
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:27 PM UTC
(Obligatory Tamiya/Dragon gripe: Why can't they come out with a completely updated/corrected Sheridan?)

That's definately more love than I've seen anyone else show towards the Airfix kit. I had gotten the impression from others that it was a real dog. Now, I can see that it does build up reasonably nice!

Randy
Red4
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
Phantom, I have the jaguar kit as well. I was able to pass along some information to Jaguar while at the 98' nationals inregards to somethings that were wrong with it, but they didnt listen. The drivers escape hatch and engine access panels are in the wrong spots. The escape hatch is where the access plates should be and vice versa. I have also heard that the hulls are warped. Lickily mine isnt. Glad to see you at least got it finished. I have a couple of the old Tamiya, and Academy kits that I have tweaked. I'll see if I can post some pics of them here. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP