Hosted by Darren Baker
Divine Intervention
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 01:53 PM UTC
Well my Avranches Offensive diorama stalled out. Mostly due to figure size discrepancies and the like. But I'm going to use the 2 main elements of that idea in 2 smaller scenes. That is, until I change my mind again

Anyways, remember them?
IMG_1353

No? That's alright, I had forgotten about them on the workbench of nevermore for a couple months too. I've made slow but steady progress on the 2 brothers in arms:

IMG_1403

IMG_1404

Basic uniform painting is done for the guy on the left, and his blind buddy on the right should have his Dot 44 and Italian 3 tone done by weeks end. Hopefully the oak leaf and field grey will provide a good contrast against the other two schemes.

I've done the helmet and hat on the number 1 gunner as well. The hat looks a rough, but that's to contribute to the worn out look I'll (try) to give it.

IMG_1405

Here he is with the number 2 gunner, who is not operating at full capacity. He's a good example of how my MM field grey is working. It's not too thin, but I'm wondering how I'll do the shadows and highlights because it seems like the look has already been achieved to a low standard.

IMG_1406

And this is a rough idea of the final product

IMG_1409

It's Verlinden's ruined church ceramic kit. Going to require a bit of interior work, but it shouldn't be impossible.

And finally, the picture I really like.

IMG_1410

I'll have to figure out how to build a bombed out interior. That's going to be LOADS of fun...I can't tell if that was sarcasm yet, but we shall see.

As a side note, this is once of the figures complicating my ability to stay focused. One of a few winter grenadiers and paras that were originally going to be used with the church.

IMG_1407
IMG_1408

The hood is a very, very rough job right now, but it's coming along. I might post an update on my winter figs now and then on here, if I don't make a separate thread.

Thanks for looking!

-Conor
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 11:27 PM UTC
This looks to be a promising diorama. I too have tried MM field grey. I find it more appropriate for officers' uniforms, rather than enlisted servicemen. Tamiya's shade is closer. However, it really doesn't matter much as you can say it was cast in a different light.

Quoted Text

...the number 2 gunner, who is not operating at full capacity....

Do you intend to flatten his uniform, so that it lies flush with the ground?
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 01:32 AM UTC
I like Tamiya's color better as well. I hate brush painting with Tamiya though, a lot of the paints I have are crap with the regular brush. Every now and then I have some luck though. Highlights and shading should do the trick for the field grey once I figure out how I'll do that. I'm considering getting Vallejo's field grey colors actually.

I know what you mean about his uniform, & right now I'm not 100% sure. I carved into it a bit to give it some depth, because I don't trust myself cutting into it and trying to flatten it.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 01:41 AM UTC
Have you checked the paints you are using? Some paints are made specifically for airbrushing and don't work very well for brushing. Believe me,I already made this simple dumb mistake.
(shaking my head again)
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you checked the paints you are using?

Yeah I have, the Tamiya paints I have are supposed to work both ways. It's worth anther shot with them though, I'll just stir and shake the daylights out of the bottle and see what happens. I have Khaki drab, OD, and one or two other colors by them which work great. Field grey though, nope!
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 03:16 PM UTC
Alright, time for an update. Did some shadows and highlights on some of the figures, & I think that worked well on the field grey. I've got to do more work on this guys' hand and bandage, judging by the photos I took. Should be doing some work on the helmet and boots as well.

IMG_1623

IMG_1624

Lovely shine he's got. Too bad it's getting a dull coat in the end...

Okay! Belt painted, Iron Cross painted, shadows/highlights, straps, boots, camouflage, etc. I'm starting to wonder about that strap though. The map case will probably be moved around or removed altogether, because I've never seen them slung around on a strap before.

IMG_1626

IMG_1627

I see the belt needs a bit more done on it as well. No worries though, it's an easy fix. That guy might end up getting a bigger load on there.

On a side note, I was lucky enough to take some reference pics this Saturday:

IMG_1601

IMG_1600

IMG_1565

IMG_1534

IMG_1533

IMG_1503

IMG_1502

IMG_1501

IMG_1500

IMG_1470

Good stuff. Eventually I'll post a link the the full album. Got to take a bunch of walk around shots of an sd.kfz. 10 as well, so that'll be posted within a few days.

-Conor
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya paints I have are supposed to work both ways. It's worth anther shot with them though, I'll just stir and shake the daylights out of the bottle and see what happens

Hi Conor,
Yes, Tamiya paints work well both in the AB and brush painting
but in the case of brush painting it is not how much shaking
or stirring you do.....you have to use retarder.

They have their own brand retarder, it will extend your
working times otherwise the paint just gums up, when you
use it with a brush.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP