_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava IV LIC and non-LIC differences
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 08:53 AM UTC
could anyone possible say what they might be, other than the lack of stowed gear? got Academy's version today and it's lookin rather nice. seems there've been some minor changes. it's got non-slip coating on the hull/turret and the gun locator pin angle seems to have been fixed. not sure wich way I wanna go with it. thx
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 11:13 AM UTC
I never did get Academy's LIC kit (used the Legend updates instead) but they would be:
1: Belly armour
2: Grill over exhaust
3: Protective grills over sights
4: Grills over headlights

Common to see belly armour and exhaust grill fitted without the other 'LIC' bits.

Jim
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 01:12 PM UTC
The non LIC only had one hatch on top of the roof, the commander's hatch. The LIC has the traditional two hatches on top of the roof, one for the commander and the other over the loader position. Also, the LIC has different side skirts. I believe they are heavier but I could be wrong there.

I'm sure there are other differences but those are the ones I am aware of other than those mentioned already.
meowmonster
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 02:41 PM UTC
Michael Mass stated on IDF-modelling that the loader's hatch was being added to all Merkava IVs. The remote-controlled .50 caliber was also an addition, as it could be operated without exposing the crew to danger. Then there's the Trophy system, as well as the Windbreaker addon.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 10:59 PM UTC
thx. a bit late for the belly armor as I put it on prior to painting. this kit does have 2 types of side armor, one of which is thinner, much like the Merk1. there're also 2 diff TC hatches or at least it seems so. so, basically it's mix'n match
spacepacker
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 10:48 AM UTC
I'v recently finished this kit, built OOB with some scratch work.
I thought it ws a nice kit, it went together very well; have fun with the Ball&Chain...cheers....Kenny
meowmonster
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 03:20 PM UTC
As I recall, the heavier armor was for the LIC variant.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 10:32 PM UTC
went with a version w/out the loaders hatch, seeing as academy included most, if not all, non-LIC parts. gonna forgo the grills as well. as for the ball/chain gonna try to locate a suitable substitute which RB seems to have. left the suspension unblued just in case someone comes out with something better. why they hollowed it out I'll never know but it makes no sense at all. yeah it is a decent kit, and no surgery like HB's. the turret is very otherworldly. suppose the designers were getting cues from aliens from Zeta Reticuli?
 _GOTOTOP