_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman mantlet
Panzer-Ole
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi all you Sherman experts

Is it possible to have a M4A1 DV with the M3 suspension to use the M34A1mantlet instead for the small M34 version?

Thank you

Ole
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Ole,
Maybe. There is a picture, in Son of Sherman on page 65, of an M4 DV with appliqué armour and M34A1 mantlet, but the picture is from the front, so you can't see the bogies. If it's possible with an M4, it should (theoretically) be possible with the M4A1.
Kurt Laughlin is probably the most qualified to answer the question, though.

John
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
Could be an upgrade on an older model or even a complete turret replacement .Some of those older style wheel sets lasted through the war . There's a picture of a burned out Sherman with M3 bogies at some stadium in Berlin or Nurnberg 1945 IRC .
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's a picture of a burned out Sherman with M3 bogies at some stadium in Berlin or Nurnberg 1945 IRC .

M4A1 at Zeppelin Field, Nuremberg 1945 :

It could belong to the 756th Tank Battalion (http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=197502&start=120 )

H.P.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 04:59 AM UTC
Wow, great pic. Early suspension, late mantlet, 3 piece transmission, sandbag armor frame and grousers. What a combination. Must have had about 20,000 miles on the clock by the time it met it's end........:-)
Panzer-Ole
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi all

Thanks for your input, especially the pictures. Who would find them other than Frenchy??..

Any one with some spare applique armor in 1/35 to fit a Sherman?

Happy modeling
Ole
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hi Ole,
I've got the bits. I'll send them tomorrow. Check your inbox on ipms.dk

John
Panzer-Ole
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 05:07 PM UTC
John, you are the man!

Thanks

Ole
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John, you are the man!

Thanks

Ole

Ole,

I built the zeppelin field M4a1 wreck earlier this year. Look up the sherman only campaign on this website, about page 25? Give or take a page, I posted a few pictures of the finished kit on a small base. It is a very unusual subject in that it has a lot of unique features. Avoid using armor plates from other kits as this tank had make shift field upgrades that don't conform to the conversion programs carried out in US and UK factories. Aside from the turret cheek armor make your own plates for the glacis and hull. Also it has tunisian sherman features with racks on the engine deck. It's a DV with M3 style bogies. Also the turret is original with a late copula and late gun sight added. The. Loaders periscope blew off during cook off. I missed this when I was building mine and was not able to remove it from my turret. The sand cages probably were added after it arrived in Europe. I've also read somewhere it might have been a flame tank and belonged to the 756th TB. That tank had to have been in service for 3 1/2 years before being knocked out. When you take into account how quickly M4A1 DV production changed over and that 50,000 Shermans where built. it was a rare machine that had already been to Africa, Sicily/Italy, and then Europe.
Panzer-Ole
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi Pedro
Thank you for your valueable advice. I will check the campaign site for your Sherman.
Do you have any pictures of your model prior to painting?

Thank you very much.

Ole
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Pedro
Thank you for your valueable advice. I will check the campaign site for your Sherman.
Do you have any pictures of your model prior to painting?

Thank you very much.

Ole

Ole,

I think I have some that I didn't delete. I'll post them as soon as I can find them. I am going to redo this build using the Tasca DV, seven months ago when I built mine, the type of EEC this tank had we're not available, now I'm the proud owner of a set I got especially to redo this wreck. Mike Canaday designed them and they are available at Shapeways for $10! They look amazing and are specifically designed to fit the panda plastics skeleton track needed to build this wreck. Did you follow the axis history link someone posted? It has more pictures of this tank than I had ever known existed. I only had the two posted on this thread plus the really dark ones taken from a distance of the back view and the side view both of those are also on the axis history thread in addition to another 4-5 I didn't know existed.

I'll be more than happy to help you and encourage you on this build. My e-mail is [email protected]
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 07:48 AM UTC
Ole,

Here are the build photos that I have in addition to the finished photos, unfortunately I deleted most of them already.

Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
some more:

Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 07:57 AM UTC
some more:

Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 08:00 AM UTC
and the rest:

Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 08:41 AM UTC
Ole,

Don't forget to reduce the rubber tires off your wheels as the rubber burned completely off.
Panzer-Ole
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi Pedro

I do not think I have the courage to do the same as you. I will stick to the version, before it burned...

Thank you very much for sharing pictures of your model, it is great inspiration and will help me a lot when I start my M4A1.

Ole
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Pedro

I do not think I have the courage to do the same as you. I will stick to the version, before it burned...

Thank you very much for sharing pictures of your model, it is great inspiration and will help me a lot when I start my M4A1.

Ole

Ole,

That sounds fantastic, I'm really looking forward to seeing that. Kind of like a before and after thing. Please post it or send me some photos via e-mail. I had thought of building a 'before' version too with a full complement of crew, sandbag cages, sandbags, etc... Maybe one of these days I'll do it, right now I've been infected by the 'wreck virus' and I've got quite a few of those planned and on the bench.
 _GOTOTOP