_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Layout Inspection
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 12:46 PM UTC
Anyone got pics of a layout inspection for M60s or M1s. Thought it might make a good dio.

Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 02:11 PM UTC
How long can ya wait. In two weeks we come off block leave and pull the panzers out of dry storage. This means we have a layout coming up. Also do you just want tank BII or the full signing over of end items (nets, poles, capture fuel pump, etc)? Another idea might be a crew going through a PCI ( pre combat inspection), this way you still get the machine guns and personal gear to go along with the tank. Just an idea. Well I've thrown my 2 cents in and will take my change.

Stephen
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 03:37 PM UTC
I may have one for the M1. It may be a M2 I am thinking of though. One of the captions said the vehicle was being inspected if I recall correctly. Tommarow I will go through my books and see which one it is. The picture is in a desert storm book and has some of the gear organized on a tarp. I will shot you a private message as soon as I find out what it is for sure.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
I was thinking a layout inspection would make a good dio. You could show all the stuff that packed away in the vehicle. Crew standing by and the commander check things. You could also do a PCI.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 09:12 PM UTC
Salt,
Since unit SOP on inspections and layouts vary from place to place you could make one up on your own if you wanted. Every unit I have ever been has had something different. One place we are in full battle rattle standing in front to answere whateveer questions they throw at us, the next all gear is laid out on your poncho according to some diagram tat some gee-wiz Lt. drew up. However you do it you cant go wrong. Just my input.."Q"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 09:44 PM UTC
In the units I've been in, the layout diagram was a battalion standard (maybe even brigade or division) that was passed down from sergeant major to sergeant major and based on something they did as a first sergeant or platoon sergeant.

I remember the times we laid out the Basic Issue Items (BII) for the tanks were usually for a good reason like:
1. Change of command inventories (commander/platoon leader/tank commander has to sign for all the stuff that comes with the company/platoon/tank)
2. After-operations inspections (to account for any field loss or broken tools, commander can "write-off" $100 per incident)
3. Pre-combat checks (to make sure the necessary equipment is present and in working condition prior to going to the field)

Normally the tank equipment and personal gear was laid out separately.
Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hey found a pic of a old layout. It's just the equipment on a tarp but if ya want it I'll scan it for ya. Might have to e-mail it though because I'm not the sharpest tool in the box with these message board things.

Stephen
 _GOTOTOP