_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M51 Sherman, opinions about avail. kits, etc
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 09:17 AM UTC
So the Academy kit can be had for $20 shipped to my door. The Tamiya kit is about $42. Are the Academy kit's issues double the effort of building the Tamiya kit? I guess I'm a bit stuck on a decision. I've read the reviews, I've seen the issues (not sure what the solution is for the Academy's way over sized muzzle brake is though I'm ok with the casting texture issue--nonplussed about any accuracy issues with the Academy in the end as they aren't deal breakers for me). But is there anything I'm missing? I mean I know the Tamiya will fall together, but is it worth double the price? I guess I'm stuck on cost...too many kits and not enough cash flow...and buying the Academy would mean extending the modeling dollar. It's a conundrum for me! I need to make a decision soon before something else catches my eye....
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So the Academy kit can be had for $20 shipped to my door. The Tamiya kit is about $42. Are the Academy kit's issues double the effort of building the Tamiya kit? I guess I'm a bit stuck on a decision. I've read the reviews, I've seen the issues (not sure what the solution is for the Academy's way over sized muzzle brake is though I'm ok with the casting texture issue--nonplussed about any accuracy issues with the Academy in the end as they aren't deal breakers for me). But is there anything I'm missing? I mean I know the Tamiya will fall together, but is it worth double the price? I guess I'm stuck on cost...too many kits and not enough cash flow...and buying the Academy would mean extending the modeling dollar. It's a conundrum for me! I need to make a decision soon before something else catches my eye....

Hi Mike,

If cost is the issue than go with the Academy kit, yes the Tamiya kit is a bit more accurate and builds easier but has it's own issues as well, The Supension and Tracks are over simplfied for my liking, I have seen both kits built up, both look the part IMO.

Regards,
Rod
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi Rod,

Yeah, I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge one way or another. After I posted I thought I had made my decision (Tamiya), but then started thinking about what else I can buy with the same amount of money...LOL. So, now that I'm swinging the other way, is there a fix for the way too big muzzle brake? I see Accurate Armour has a upgrade for the DML M51 that includes a muzzle brake but that they don't sell it separately. I've been pouring over Google looking at built images of the Academy and they all look really nice.
Tankerman
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 12:42 PM UTC
Mike,

Having built both kits I firmly come down on the side of Tamiya's version. It is an easier build and accurate for a Six-Day-War M51 or a Yom Kippur war tank. The Academy kit builds as a later version out of the box but it can be back-dated to a Yom Kippur machine.

The Tamiya HVSS (suspension is better Not as intricate as the dragon HVSS) and the turret is excellent. Tracks about the same quality.

The Tamiya turret, .50 caliber and main gun muzzle break are way better than their Academy counterparts as is the four piece mantlet cover.

You can build a decent M51 from either but the Academy is more work.

You could buy the Tamiya turret sprue from Tamiya USA for $6.50 and go a long way to upgrading the Academy kit.

Anyway, decide which version you want and purchase accordingly.

HTH

Laramie Wright

woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,

Having built both kits I firmly come down on the side of Tamiya's version. It is an easier build and accurate for a Six-Day-War M51 or a Yom Kippur war tank. The Academy kit builds as a later version out of the box but it can be back-dated to a Yom Kippur machine.

The Tamiya HVSS (suspension is better Not as intricate as the dragon HVSS) and the turret is excellent. Tracks about the same quality.

The Tamiya turret, .50 caliber and main gun muzzle break are way better than their Academy counterparts as is the four piece mantlet cover.

You could buy the Tamiya turret sprue from Tamiya USA for $6.50 and go a long way to upgrading the Academy kit.

HTH

Laramie Wright

Hmmm, I like this approach as it's the best of both worlds. Will have to give Tamiya's Sprue service a call tomorrow to confirm Sprue C's availability. That will determine my course of action.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

I built the Academy kit for the "Sands of Israel" campaign and it was a right pig. THere are some frustrating fit issues as well as detail issues to address - it may be worth paying extra for the Tamiya kit. (My build is near the bottom of the page in that link, and finished pics are on p15.)

With a lot of TLC it can be made to look ok, but you need to decide how much hobby time you want to invest fixing this crude beast.

HTH
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mike,

I built the Academy kit for the "Sands of Israel" campaign and it was a right pig. THere are some frustrating fit issues as well as detail issues to address - it may be worth paying extra for the Tamiya kit. (My build is near the bottom of the page in that link, and finished pics are on p15.)

With a lot of TLC it can be made to look ok, but you need to decide how much hobby time you want to invest fixing this crude beast.

HTH

Good points, I saw your notes regarding the build. So the pendulum swings.
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HTH

Laramie Wright

Wow I didn't think there was anywhere to buy Tamiya Sprues after Rainbow Ten shut down thier overseas operations. I need a couple of sprues of the Crowell Suspension and Wheels to upgrade my SKP Challenger kit. I'll have to check that out.

Thats a great idea to upgrade the Academy Kit, must less expensive than getting the AA upgrade set, although you do get more with the AA set.

Another option (this is way I am doing it)is use the Tamiya Kit with the Tasca replacement supension and tracks, just me maybe but I really don't like the big open spaces behide the Springs on the Tamiya kit, and have never been a big fan of Rubber Band Tracks.

Regards,
Rod
leonhzy
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hi mike

I have the Tamiya kit and i can say everything is good except the tracks. I remember Friulmodel released its T80 tracks for M50 which is exactly the same for M51. And another company called Kaizen released its T80 tracks in plastic.

If u want extra detail u can go for the Dragon kit, hope its still in stock. The dragon one got everything, the track is DS but in great detail which u dont have to replace it, The suspension is movable if u build it currently, my friend didnt make it happen and he said its really not a easy, enjoyable build.

no idea about the Academy kit.

If u want a quick easy build go for the Tamiya, otherwise i recommend dragon kit.

One more thing, i saw the resin M50 turret for the Tamiya kit. Guess everyone likes the big brother M51 and no one cares about little M50.
Shermania
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is really a no brainier, the only way I'd build an academy at this point is with the tamiya turret and a AM suspension and tracks. The academy hull represents the general steel casting and the tamiya the continental casting. Depending on what tank and what time period you are modelling you may need to use the academy hull. If you don't care about any of that and you just want something that is easy to build ootb and looks great then stick to the tamiya. The tamiya lacks some detail but does not otherwise need the massive fixes that the academy kit needs. For a $20 difference it is not even worth considering. I've recently purchased a couple of academy kits very cheap. but only for their hulls and some other small details. Most everything else is unusable in that kit, including the crew, stowage, turret, tracks, etc... Even the hull requires cutting off the sand shield brackets as with a lot of the academy kit a lot of its components are grossly oversized, crew, muzzle brake, you name it, it's just not a very good kit.

The tamiya is a sweet kit and I've purchased it for less than $35 on the lucky model website. The tamiya kit boasts the only accurate gun tube and muzzle brake ever produced in either resin or plastic. The whole turret is amazing. If you build it without the mantlet dust cover you can articulate the gun so long as you scratch the dust cover mounting brackets.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HTH

Laramie Wright

Wow I didn't think there was anywhere to buy Tamiya Sprues after Rainbow Ten shut down thier overseas operations. I need a couple of sprues of the Crowell Suspension and Wheels to upgrade my SKP Challenger kit. I'll have to check that out.

Thats a great idea to upgrade the Academy Kit, must less expensive than getting the AA upgrade set, although you do get more with the AA set.

Another option (this is way I am doing it)is use the Tamiya Kit with the Tasca replacement supension and tracks, just me maybe but I really don't like the big open spaces behide the Springs on the Tamiya kit, and have never been a big fan of Rubber Band Tracks.

Regards,
Rod

Tamiya sells replacement sprues but only on certain kits, mostly the newer stuff. You have to call your local service area to find out. It is not like Tasca where you can shop for stuff. First you call or e-mail tamiya with the exat kit number and sprue numbers as specified on your instruction booklet, they will let you know if they are available for that kit. If they can get the parts, they usually take anywhere from 4-8 months to get the stuff in, at that time they will e-mail you that your item is in and the you call them back to get total and to give them CC info. Then you wait another week or two to get your stuff. Plan on setting aside our build/project for about six months, assuming the parts are even available for the kit in question.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike,

HTH

Laramie Wright

Hmmm, I like this approach as it's the best of both worlds. Will have to give Tamiya's Sprue service a call tomorrow to confirm Sprue C's availability. That will determine my course of action.

It cost me about $12 to get a sprue c and it took 7 months from time of order until I received it in the mail. It should be available for a few more years as the kit is still relatively new.

Depending on how quickly you want to get started you'd save between $10-$15 and still have to do a lot of upgrading to the academy upper and lower hull.

BTW, I'm not a fan of rubber tracks and neither kit boasts a very good set, but the tamiya at least resemble the Israeli version of T-80 track which had a longer cleat than regular T-80.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi mike

I have the Tamiya kit and i can say everything is good except the tracks. I remember Friulmodel released its T80 tracks for M50 which is exactly the same for M51. And another company called Kaizen released its T80 tracks in plastic.

If u want extra detail u can go for the Dragon kit, hope its still in stock. The dragon one got everything, the track is DS but in great detail which u dont have to replace it, The suspension is movable if u build it currently, my friend didnt make it happen and he said its really not a easy, enjoyable build.

no idea about the Academy kit.

If u want a quick easy build go for the Tamiya, otherwise i recommend dragon kit.

One more thing, i saw the resin M50 turret for the Tamiya kit. Guess everyone likes the big brother M51 and no one cares about little M50.

When tamiya released the M1, I thought for sure an M50 would be next, but unfortunately they skipped it. When you consider that M50 used most every type of M4 hull, seems all they needed was a turret to go with their M4A1 hull. Fortunately there are a few nice resin turrets available to make the M50 using Tasca , tamiya or dragon hulls.

I disagree about dragon M-51, outside of the nice suspension (if u get the newest version) the gun is turned aluminum but terribly small the MB is a joke as is the turret and upper hull. The pe fret is mostly useless as the sand shields components are huge. The water can holding brackets are okay, but no metal smoke discharges or extra track block holders. The upper hull in this kit is atrocious, just awful a complete throwaway. The turret is very bad too.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 04:13 AM UTC
Well it's done: spoke with Tamiya and they have Sprue C on its way and I've purchased the Academy kit. So in the end I spent $31.80 total on everything (S&H included). Worth it? Some will say no, but I'm content. Appreciate all the help and advice! In the end I wasn't "agonizing" perse, but it is fun to hear the back and forth; we tend to forget the social aspects at work here.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike,

HTH

Laramie Wright

It cost me about $12 to get a sprue c and it took 7 months from time of order until I received it in the mail. It should be available for a few more years as the kit is still relatively new.

Depending on how quickly you want to get started you'd save between $10-$15 and still have to do a lot of upgrading to the academy upper and lower hull.

BTW, I'm not a fan of rubber tracks and neither kit boasts a very good set, but the tamiya at least resemble the Israeli version of T-80 track which had a longer cleat than regular T-80.

Tamiya wanted $6.50 + $5 S&H and indicated it would go out in a day or so.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike,

HTH

Laramie Wright

Mike,

You lucked out, they must've had some extras on hand, when I ordered mine the parts where not in stock. They must be getting a lot of requests on that turret. When parts have to come from Japan it takes much longer.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 04:41 AM UTC
For what it`s worth i went with the Academy version,somewhere on this site is a thing for modifying the engine deck for the various versions (perhaps some can link it in ?!)
I had hours of pleasure scratch-building a Six Day War version witch i was really chuffed with.
All this at a fraction of what Tamiya`s offering would have cost me.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well it's done: spoke with Tamiya and they have Sprue C on its way and I've purchased the Academy kit. So in the end I spent $31.80 total on everything (S&H included). Worth it? Some will say no, but I'm content. Appreciate all the help and advice! In the end I wasn't "agonizing" perse, but it is fun to hear the back and forth; we tend to forget the social aspects at work here.

Wise choice on getting the tamiya turret, it'll still build into a solid M-51 with the right attention to detail and modifications. I myself will be combining that turret with that hull eventually as many M-51 used the the general steel hull casting. The only other choice there would be the super old italeri hull which is about 1/8 " too long. The academy hull minus the ridiculous texture is a much better starting point.
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 05:39 AM UTC
Wow just goes to show you that there almost as many solutions as there were Shermans

Regards,
Rod
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike,

HTH

Laramie Wright

Mike,

You lucked out, they must've had some extras on hand, when I ordered mine the parts where not in stock. They must be getting a lot of requests on that turret. When parts have to come from Japan it takes much longer.

He was like, "oh, I don't think we have that (I'm like, "WTF")". Then he said, "Wait, here's the last one." Uuuuummmm, ok. Big corp like Tamiya and they have but one M51 kit in North America....ooooooookkkkkkkk.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 11:32 AM UTC
Tamiya M51 "Sprue C" arrived today. Now I'm waiting on the Academy kit to show up from Korea (eBay purchase).
 _GOTOTOP