_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Where would I find a Porsche turret?
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Dragon's KT w/ Porsche turret (kit 6302) has mocked me for more than 6 months due to me missing out on an amazing deal to get it. And seeing as today is pay day, I'm going to throw my consumer common sense into the wind and ignore my overloaded workbench, and buy it.

That being said, where did these 50 King Tigers serve? I'm fairly sure they were in Normandy, but I don't know if any made it out, or if there were any facing the Russians? If anyone could just let me know where and how long they served it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Conor
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 04:44 AM UTC
found on a forum (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118729):

Quoted Text

The 3rd Company of sPzAbt. 503, after losing their Tiger Is in Normandy was sent to Mailly le Camp in France, east of Paris , to be refitted with the Tiger II. At Mailly le Camp they received 12 Porsche turreted Tiger IIs and 2 Henschel turreted Tiger IIs on 31 July and 2 August 1944. While at Mailly le Camp two of the Porsche turreted Tiger II experienced mechanical problems and were left behind at Mailly le Camp when the rest of the unit headed for action north of the Seine River and to the west of Paris in mid-August 1944.

The two Porsche turreted Tiger IIs were shipped back to Germany from Mailly le Camp to Paderborn, Germany being shipped on 26 August 1944 and arriving on 3 September 1944.

After 3./sPzAbt. 503 fought in the withdrawal through France to Belgium they were sent to Paderborn for refitting where the entire battalion was issued 45 Tiger IIs with the Henschel turret and the two Porsche turreted Tiger IIs that they had left behind in Mailly le Camp. From Paderborn they were sent to fight in Hungary. One Porsche turreted Tiger IIs was numbered 314 and carried the name Anneliese. It was lost in March 1945 fighting in the east in Hungary. The fate of the other Porsche turret Tiger II is unknown.

hobgrot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 08:09 AM UTC
a few lasted till the end & beyond .... one in combat condition was given to Sweden in 1946 for trials & another is now at Bovington Museum. I'm considering doing the Swedish one with its special german exhaust set-up.
 _GOTOTOP