_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Selection Help
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 09:41 PM UTC
OK. I want to build another SPG. I'm looking at Revell's Panzerhaubitze and Trumpeter's AS-90. I'm leaning toward the AS-90, just because I find it more interesting. However, the reviews on it are poor. The Panzerhaubitze has its drawbacks, as well. Which one do you think I should go with? I will probably super detail either one.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 10:21 PM UTC
I have both. The Revell kit certainly has building issues and requires a lot of TLC, plasticard and/or putty. I think that the PzH 2000 is a bigger beast than the AS-90 and it does look cool
BUT
the AS-90 probably goes together a lot easier and lets you spend your efforts on detailing instead of gap filling.

The large area with little bumps on it in front of the turret on the PzH 2000 is actually a mesh covered intake or outlet and needs to be replaced completely, upper net with a finer net below plus maybe some filter material below, no quick fix available (as far as I know ...)

AS-90 first, then get down to "real modelling" (lots of work) with the PzH 2000
/ Robin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 10:33 PM UTC
Thanks, Robin. I think the real issues with the AS-90 can be fixed with fine putty application and the removal of locating pins. I have had to do this a few times, in the past. So, it's an easy fix. I just have to make sure everything lines up. Then, the real detailing can begin.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 11:28 PM UTC
Well well well :-)
If the only issues with the AS-90 was some misplaced locating pins and a little putty then it is a LOT less work than the PzH-90
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 11:35 PM UTC
From what I have read, the majority of the problems were parts placement and making sure everything lined up. I'm sure that there are other issues, but have not found a review that points them out. Oh. The periscopes' clear parts are non-existent.
 _GOTOTOP