_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How do you make 1/35 maps
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
I am in the midst of finishing my M-3 Half Track command post diorama. I am going to place a map board on the outside of the left rear side of the half track. I am stuck on how to make a map for the board....I welcome any and all recommendations.
Thanks
DJ
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 01:08 AM UTC
You could reduce your favorite page off of the old Rand McNally,or use one of these:

I've got some Columbus, Ga maps I did somewhere, but not quite what you're looking for.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 01:51 AM UTC
howdy...

I've had some success making my own..

find a map you want to use..

figure out what the aprox size is you want.

do not resize the image or you will lose detail. (this is very important)

save the image. open it in a photo editor program that lets you choose custom size for your print. Such as Adobe Photo Elements 10

resize the photo using the printer setting using the highest level of printer setting you can. (i.e. photo quality highest res)

remember to maintain aspect ratios (ratio of with to length) when you choose your custom resize or you will get distorted maps.

cut map out. In order to improve thickness scale rub the back of the map on sandpaper or a sanding stick to thin it up..

I find rubbing light weathering powders into the paper improves the look.

here is a quick example I just did the original image was 10 by 15 cm. in resizing the photo in the print setting I changed it to 1 cm by 1.5 cm. (b&w) and simpler maps look better than a full color one such as this one but this shows the good detail in a small size)

some examples I made.

the poster on the wall behind the rider was made in this way.

and here is a map I made for an M-10 several years ago.. excuse the color I used the flash so you could see the detail better..

hope this helps..

Delbert
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 04:32 AM UTC
You can even find some ready-to-use maps on Armorama

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/647

HTH

H.P.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am in the midst of finishing my M-3 Half Track command post diorama. I am going to place a map board on the outside of the left rear side of the half track. I am stuck on how to make a map for the board....I welcome any and all recommendations.
Thanks
DJ

DJ,
Simple 2-10 Cav solution... Beat the crap out of your 1/35th scale S-2 and he will produce the needed map. Don't forget to give the SIGO some "lovin" also or he will feel left out.

Oh, yea, thanks again from rescuing me from the School side of Knox AKA the 12th Cav...

Frenchy's suggestion was good as there are maps of different battlefields in NWE. Let's see some pics

Your humble D/10 Cav servant

John

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks
DJ

DJ,
Simple 2-10 Cav solution... Beat the crap out of your 1/35th scale S-2 and he will produce the needed map. Don't forget to give the SIGO some "lovin" also or he will feel left out.

Oh, yea, thanks again from rescuing me from the School side of Knox AKA the 12th Cav...

Frenchy's suggestion was good as there are maps of different battlefields in NWE. Let's see some pics

Your humble D/10 Cav servant

John

Brother-- I shall attempt to display my humble effort which consist of the M3 loaded with radios from Verlinden, several figures, and of course the map board under camo net on a suitable base. I thank you once again for your assistance with the 240, it saved a great model.
DJ

PS-- you were always were and will remain a role model for me
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can even find some ready-to-use maps on Armorama

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/647

HTH

H.P.

Frenchy-- life savers, as always
Many thanks
DJ
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS-- you were always were and will remain a role model for me

That, Sir, I believe is my line... Any hardships at Knox, Bliss or Wainright was worth it, working for a leader that knew how to work hard and then play hard...

Ready Forward

JC
 _GOTOTOP