_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill in Russian service?
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 01:13 AM UTC
I recently got AFV Club Churchill mk.III with 75mm gun (AF35S54). Did any of these particular vehicles see action at Russian service and if so, is there decals available? I really would like to build this dirty as they get with no fenders and with worn winter camo. Of course I could do it anyway as model in general but if anyone knows specific vehicle help would be appreciated, pictures are also welcomed.
Removed by original poster on 10/31/13 - 13:33:22 (GMT).
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 01:49 AM UTC
Yeah, the Russians called them 'a coffin for 5 brothers', or something like that.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC
So I should paint it black and some decorative skulls maybe
maxim37
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi Tomi.
I just bought an Afv club Churchill 111 as well.Great minds think alike.Anyway yes the Russians used the 111 and 1v versions of the Churchill.A military modelling magazine special has a lovely build by Steve Zaloga of a winter whitewashed mark 111.If you need a scan copy then I would be happy to help!!.
Happy modelling from Richard
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, the Russians called them 'a coffin for 5 brothers', or something like that.

Here is my two cents on this matter from what little I've learned about this. Russians in WW2 used that expression for every single tank that they fielded in the war "metal coffin for _ brothers" depending on the number of crewmen that changed so for instance a T-34 was a 'metal coffin for 4 brothers' an M3 Lee was a 'metal coffin for seven brothers' etc...

I suspect that a lot has been lost in translation here, but my theory is that Russian infantry not unlike USMC and army ground troops in the WW2 had an unfavorable opinion of tanks and frequently spoke of them in a negative way. As with any weapon system that is new and revolutionary there is bound to be an adjustment period. The Tank in WW2 brought about more artillery so ground troops resented that and they also resented how the tankmen got to leave the frontlines to carry out maintenance on their vehicles.

Needless to say, I think as the war wore on ground troops began to accept and even depend on tanks. But that doesn't mean that the nicknames went away. For all we know it might have been a twisted 'term of endearment for tanks' in Russian military culture of the time.
 _GOTOTOP