_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Vallejo primer problems
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 05:35 PM UTC
I've heard rave reviews about the Vallejo primer, so tonight I finally tried some out. Sprayed like a dream! No thinning, went on wonderfully.

I noticed a few blemishes I'd missed and so I went to scrape them off with a knife...only to discover that the paint simply peeled off like it was a sticker, stuck on with loose adhesive... The figured I'd sprayed were cleaned, so there shouldn't have been a bunch of oil or gunk that caused this. Certainly the "can't fix problems after priming" isn't the downside to this great spraying primer??
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 06:35 PM UTC
Paints like Vallejo Model Air and Lifecolor are "vinyl" acrylics. They dry is a rubber like sheet, almost like a skin. It is very possible that the primers dry the same way.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 08:00 PM UTC
The ones in the large bottles are marked Polyurethane....

I've had similar adhesion probs with certain plastics, so have used Future as a thinner witch had the effect of 'hardening' it, making it more 'sticky' & a bonus of making it far more amenable to being reworked & sanded, etc.

As ever your mileage may vary & test it on a hulk first.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 10:11 PM UTC
When I tested Vallejo Primer on different materials I came to these conclusions.

Spraying on Polystyrene. Sits well after about 8 hours.
On resin, leave to dry at least for 24 hours preferably 48 hours.
White Metal. Give it a week to dry.
Photoetched brass. Two thin coats, the second after the first one has dried. Then give it 3-4 Days.

Given this, Vallejo Primer sits very well. You cant scrape it with our Nails. I had to use a screwdriver when testing. And of course you can also sand it.

Its also a good idea to warm the bottle in warm water and remember to have higher airpressure, 50-60PSI, than normal.

Vallejo Primer is also brushable and shrinks when drying. So dont worry to much if it comes on a Little bit too much.

It is very similar to Citadel Primer, except in drying time and smell.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP