_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
More comprehensive review searches
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 03:09 AM UTC
The only thing we can select is Manufacturer. It can be great if we know what we are looking for but what if we don't know who makes what in a scale we aren't familiar with? I would like to be able to look-up via Scale and Subject.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC
Concur.

I would make a similar observation about the new kit news section, too.

It would be much better if both of these allowed us to sort by subject, nationality, era, scale, etc.

For example, it's darned difficult to search for references or books, since they're categorized in to sometimes illogical groups instead of ALL BOOKS. If I ever want to go back and find the review on the new Osprey river crossing tactics book, I have to remember that it was reviewed in the AFV forum or that it was specifically an Osprey title.

I can't just go and try to search for an unknown title or publisher that was about river crossings. There's no logical starting place.

If I ever want to try to find the Royal Models modern Israeli female tanker (the one that looks like Dana Carvy in "Wayne's World"!), it would probably be impossible since that figure has been grouped in the new kit news with a WWII German motorcycle rider. Trying to search for Israeli tanker or female figures will come up with a zug. Searching by the news article title will do me no good since that title, "Smoke Break," provides absolutely no clues about the female tanker, the manufacturer, the nationality, or the scale.

There's a huge volume of potential information captured here in the reviews and news articles, but it's very, very difficult to search through that information to find something unless you already know what it is.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's a huge volume of potential information captured here in the reviews and news articles, but it's very, very difficult to search through that information to find something unless you already know what it is.

I have to admit I never thought about this. Hmmmm... perhaps editors could add some sort of "keywords" to each news story, review, etc, which would be searchable. I'm not sure if that's viable though. Jim?

Mario
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 07:52 AM UTC
I too agree this would be a neat enhancement to the site, though I'm not sure we're as in the dark as Mike suggests; I just did a search for "Israeli female tanker" in that search box at the top of the page, and that news item was the second hit - after Mike's post in this very thread. Maybe I was just lucky. Anyway, the suggestion is definitely a good one, with different views set up that can be filtered and sorted on, rather than using a straight search. Another challenge for Jim.
 _GOTOTOP