_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Advice needed: How applying wash correctly
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hello all
I am a beginner and need some advice on applying wash.
On my last model i switched from hand painting to airbrush painting,
As a result the model details are much better but also the surface is much smoother because there are no brush strokes on the surface.
In my hand painted models i used to dilute red brown ink in water and wash with a wide brush with good results. I apply wash to the entire modelsurface and let the liquid settle in the details and corners.
Due to smooth surface, this time the water wash just didnt spread and just stood as droplets on the surface.
I switched to diluting ink in Windex solution as i read windex has a higher surfacd tention, it actually worked and i got a unique spread wash but unfortunatly as it wasdrying i noticed that the wash was shrinking and retracting from some areas and this caused bright stains in some parts.
I would appreciate advice on how to create a wash that holds on the surface even as it dries. Please bearin mind that i live in Egypt and have no access to ready madewashes, i need something that i can work from basic materials such as oils, thinner or alcohol and acrylic paints or dyes.
Thanks for your help
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 12:43 PM UTC
Use oil paints + Turpenoid. If you must use water, add a few drops of detergent.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 01:34 PM UTC
I agree,I have best results with white spirit or turpenoid with artist oils. I use a full plastic cap of "Coke", with white spirit and add a 2mm slice of the artist oil. Mix properly and change the ratio to more or less oil to do transparent or not washes.
More 95% of W.Spirit for a filter.

Some artist stores even here in the south,carry some odorless turpenoid or turpentine. Don't smell and works fine.

Good Luck!

Regards

Alvaro
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 01:53 AM UTC
I use the same: artist oil paints thinned with ordinary mineral spirits for my washes and oil-dot modulation.

(I also use oil paints on my figures.)

Sometimes, the only advantages of the newer finishing products is convenience. "Old School" actually works just fine (and is very economical, to boot).

Happy modeling!
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 03:00 AM UTC
I havent used oil before, but i do have some oil paint tubes i will try. The question is: what do imix it with? I have a bottle of seed oil for paint but i fear it might become too glossy and take time to dry, i also have Turpentine for oil paint, would that work?
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC
There is a ton of information about oil washes on this site. Use the search engine. I personally use Mona Lisa mineral spirits.
 _GOTOTOP