Hosted by Darren Baker
LAV-L Conversion
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
Having scored a Trumpeter LAV C2 on the really cheap -- it was started but just barely I decided to embark on a conversion since it doesn't look like the logistic variant will ever see the light of day in 1/35 scale. Given a basic structural similarity to the C2 it shouldn't be a huge undertaking. The roof of the two is very different given the cargo hatches, and placement of the smoke grenade launchers being what comes to mind. That being said, I started the project by removing the details from the roof and superstructure that aren't found on the -L and filling the resulting gaps and unnecessary openings. Of course now that I've got this underway, somebody's going to decide to give this variant some love in 1/35th, too. Pics to follow, lots of dust in the air in the workshop right now!
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 06:52 AM UTC
This is the upper hull which is being converted from C2 to -L variant. As you can see there were numerous unnecessary openings to be plugged with plastic sheet and filled with putty. Let's just say a fair amount of putty to be sanded. I've also laid out the part of the superstructure to be removed. Fortunately, the layout happens to fall along the line of the two hatches so the two plugs you see aren't permanently attached as they will be cut to fill out the remaining opening. When finished the 3 color NATO pattern will be replaced by solid green as most of the -L's I've seen in the flesh and in pics are just green.

This is a comparison of the C2 hull from a WIP and the conversion side by side.

Apologies for the lighting, it's raining here and I had to shoot them inside.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 - 01:07 AM UTC
More progress, major surgery is complete and the patient survived the procedure. The roof of the superstructure has been cut out and trimmed to size. The plugs for the radio operator hatches found on the -C2 variant are no permanently fitted in the remainder of their respective hatch openings.

Since I will be leaving the roof hatches open I will be adding at least a partial interior. Both taillights will have to be relocated from the rear hull to the rear of the upper hull. Also to be added will be the platform for the hoist operator near the fuel filler. Additional stowage racks commonly found on the roof of the -L will be scratch built and added fore and aft of the cargo hatch opening.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
I've been plugging away at the conversion, adding some interior fittings, external stowage racks, etc. I'm starting to think about what I want to put into the cargo area, but something different from ammunition cans, rations, POL; then I remembered when we used to have the company gunny who made daily ice runs for the company and bring back 150 pound blocks of ice that we had to divvy up between the vehicles. I've searched all the usual sources for styrene stock, all I can find is white. Anybody got any idea of where I can find clear plastic thick enough to simulate these blocks of ice or suggestions of how I can simulate them without just showing them completely covered by a tarp? They were about 4x4x3 if I am recalling them correctly.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anybody got any idea of where I can find clear plastic thick enough to simulate these blocks of ice or suggestions of how I can simulate them without just showing them completely covered by a tarp?

What about some clear resin, like the one used with inclusions ?

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP