_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Which t-90 kit
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 11:28 AM UTC
Figured to add a T-90 to the stash. Checked out Lucky model and they have 3 offerings. Zvesda at $21, Meng at $41 and Trumpeter at $50.

Price attracts me to the Zvesda...past experience with them leave me to wonder if "you get what you pay for" may apply. I have heard they are making decent kits lately. Seen pix of unbuilt Meng, but dont really care if I have the engine/interior stuff

So....pros /cons/recommendations plz
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 11:40 AM UTC
At the moment the Meng kit seems to hold the crown, in fairness however the Zvezda kit is not bad and the Trumpeter kit I do not have data on yet.
laikneth
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 11:48 AM UTC
Go for the meng kit. it has a good balance of detail and ease of assembly. got working tracks and suspension

trumpeter kit has a lot of pe details to assemble that's better of being molded in plastic...more unnecessary work.

zveda kit is easy to assemble but I prefer the detail and accuracy of meng kit.

go to this site http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/1376/0/1. and search for the three kits. this site offers the assembly guide for all three kits and you can judge the level of work you need to do for yourself.
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 01:33 PM UTC
Why not ?
hobbyeasy.com
laikneth
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 01:43 PM UTC
hobbyeasy doesn't show assembly guide for all the kits
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 03:01 PM UTC
Hi Steve;

This is just IMHO, if your not into the Nut & Bolt kind of Crap Then the Zvesda kit is just fine !!
I Built the kit and found it too be a Really nice Model and was Fun too Build.-- The Level of Detail was Stunning for a Kit under the Zvesda Banner !!

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 03:27 PM UTC
Appreciate the input guys. I saw some videos of in box and build ups. I am impressed by the detai of the Zvesda as well as teh Meng. So it will just be a spur decision, influenced by budget. Figure to wait till the M103a1 comes out and add this kit to the order to double up and save some postage,
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 05:14 PM UTC
Forget Zvezda. The shape and detailing is incorrect.
Meng was built with help of an russian T-72/T-90 expert.
mokush
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 06:28 PM UTC
Hi Blaster!
I'm building the Zvezda kit now. It's not bad at all (but needs some PE).
At first it was pretty overhyped (like most of the kits here), but now everybody knows that is't too high (should be 2mm lower) correcting this worths no effort. Take it as it is.
The Meng kit looks better, it's on my list.
And I really do not know how the Trumpy one got this price tag... more expensive than Meng
So IMHO, if you want a cheap basic kit go for the Zvezda, otherwise Meng. But if you want cat turret Trumpy is the answer.
nooplwb
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 06:40 PM UTC
Meng
Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 06:52 PM UTC
Meng. No options. Only Meng.
Zvezda has too many inaccuracies, hard to assemble. Maybe marriage casting. Trumpeter - does not working track-set.
In this Meng - the most correct in geometry (only one problem with the driver's hatch), working track-set in box!
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 12:57 AM UTC
I guess that the idea of pointing out Hobbyeasy site was that sometimes it has lower prices
Take a look at today's prices for the T-90 kits -without shipping, of course- :

Trumpeter T-90 A U$S 35.26
Trumpeter T-90 cast turret, same price
Meng T-90A U$S 41.79
Zvezda T-90 U$S 28.21

I have the three kits in my stash, and all of them have highs and lows.
I'll say Meng for a welded turret model, and Trumpeter for the cast turret one since its the only game in town by now, and its a nice kit even when it will require some extra work with the PE parts. On the other hand, I do not like at all Meng's kit plastic, but that's a matter of personal taste...
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 06:57 AM UTC
Yes, Meng's plastic on T-90 is bad indeed. Too soft. Can't understand the choise, while they are using much better plastic for the GAZ kits
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 07:25 AM UTC
Great info guys. OK next question. What are the visual differences btwn the t-72, t-80, and t-90. Looks like the strobe thingies on the t-90 are not on the others, but overall shape and appearance...how much difference. Hopefully like the difference btwn a KT Henschel and Porsche turret and not a middle vs late production Tiger 1. Is there a site that has side by side pix/diagrams?
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 07:33 AM UTC
T-90 is more or less a furthur develpoment of the T-72 while the T-80 is the product of another design beureau with a turbine engine vs. the diesel T-72. Can't think of any side by side comparisons off the top of my head but Prime Portal
http://www.primeportal.net/the_battlefield_armor.htm
would be a good start to get an idea of the differences.

Sean
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hi Guys;

Its easy too tell the T-72 Vs. T-80 other than the visual differences, ie; The road wheels, engine deck, exhaust port. The turrets are another matter, the T-72 other than being less expensive too build, is offered in many other variations than the T-80. The Terminator, Tos-1, BMOT,and some other obscure variants that we just do not see.
The T-90 is IMHO is in another class of its own and where it leads is a question that remains too be seen

CHEERS; MIKE.
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are the visual differences btwn the t-72, t-80, and t-90. Looks like the strobe thingies the t-90 are not on the others, but overall shape and appearance...how much difference.

There is plenty of variety between the three, pick up some books or check the web. The Shotra units you refer to are on the T-90 and some models of T-80 including the diesel powered units of Ukraine (T-84).

They are all interesting subjects to model and variants abound in all 3 you mentioned. Look for Trumpeter to produce a number of variants within the next year. Xactscale also has more T-80 type(s) (T-84 Oplot) coming as well.

_GOTOTOP