_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WIP-Scimitar LEP
Neonoodle
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 10:45 AM UTC
Evening all. Some of you may remember me posting a fair few years ago about a AFV Club ~Scimitar with Castoff LEP conversion kit that i was building. Well i'm back, I've created a new post as the last time posted about this was 2006, and all the links to the pictures on that post no longer exist.

So ive been building this for a very long time, on and off, mainly due to either Army work, tour, moving and more recently getting married and children. Below is the pictures of the progress i have made so far, apologies for the quality of them atm as i'm currently staying in a hotel as part of my resettlement course and the only decent lighting for the camera i brought is the strip light in the bathroom!

Im using Castoff models LEP conversion and PE by Airwaves and Eduard. This is my first build using PE and will also be my first building a model first then painting as im more used to building 1/24th sports cars wich are painted as you go.

I'm building this along side a CR2, AA Charrv and a Warrior

So with out further a due

Many thanks for viewing
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 12:13 PM UTC
Looking good so far. I just got this kit and wish I had a while back when all the conversions were still available. I was in Recce troop 13/18H in Hohne when we were issued the very first scimitars (I think we were the first armoured regiment to get them) What a step up from a Ferret!! It would take a great deal of modification to backdate the AFV Club kit and I don't really have any photos or reference for the early vehicles. I remember that there is a photo of one crossing a stream in the old tanks illustrated book by Simon Dunstan. The vehicle in the picture is that of my section leader Cpl Sid Taylor...who finally left the army as a Major I believe. He was callsign 64 and I was 64A. Boy, we loved those Scimitars.
Neonoodle
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 12:36 PM UTC
Steve, its worth checking out castoff models website, thats where i got the LEP conversion from, The owner took a break for a few years but has not restarted. I think Sid Taylor Finished as a Lt Col as he was the RAC QM(T) sorting everyones Equipment Tables out. I will be hopefully doing this as the Scimitar i drove back in 2002 in Bosnia, complete with LD badge

Neil
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hi Neil, Terry has restarted indeed, have you been on his site lately?, I have a good bit of kit from him in the last year and went over to the Uk to visit him, you couldn't find a nicer gent. very helpful and has first hand experience on CVR(w) Fox.

http://www.castoff-models.co.uk/products

Anto
Neonoodle
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 12:53 PM UTC
Anthony,

I have indeed been on his site, pointed it out to a friend beginning of the year, Im after the up armoured kit and bar armoured kit tp replicate the scimitars my regiment used in Iraq and i used on Herrick 5. Ive been following your builds on the FB site too, nice CR1 and WR you got going on
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 01:14 PM UTC
Wow, Junior Leader to Lt Col, that's pretty awesome....I'll check castoff out, thanks for the tip
Neonoodle
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, Junior Leader to Lt Col, that's pretty awesome....I'll check castoff out, thanks for the tip

Yup some career to have, altho i think hes moved on now.

Viret et aertenum
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good so far. I just got this kit and wish I had a while back when all the conversions were still available. I was in Recce troop 13/18H in Hohne when we were issued the very first scimitars (I think we were the first armoured regiment to get them) What a step up from a Ferret!! It would take a great deal of modification to backdate the AFV Club kit and I don't really have any photos or reference for the early vehicles. I remember that there is a photo of one crossing a stream in the old tanks illustrated book by Simon Dunstan. The vehicle in the picture is that of my section leader Cpl Sid Taylor...who finally left the army as a Major I believe. He was callsign 64 and I was 64A. Boy, we loved those Scimitars.

Ah yes, the 'Ice Cream Boys' (just fun, no detriment intended)... You were the first in BAOR but we, The Life Guards, were actually the very first regiment to receive the Scimitar, in Windsor.
We were also the very first to take them to northern Norway as part of the AMF(L) force and use them in deep snow.

I am building Terry's (Castoff) early Scorpion (CVRT 101) and his latest version of the Scimitar with 'Slats'...

I also understand he has some other interesting items under wraps.

Keith.
Neonoodle
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 02:57 AM UTC
I'm sure it will be good! Maybe a bowman conversion to finishing bringing it all upto day
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 03:25 AM UTC
Yup, the Lilywhites......that was us. We had one Corporal in Recce troop who had done a course on Scimitar, no one else knew much about them when they arrived. One of the first things we learnt was the correct track tension.....after throwing tracks all over the place. My 'tracked vehicle driver training' consisted of driving out of the hanger, doing a neutral turn and then reversing it back in, after which I was awarded my license.....lol
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anthony,

I have indeed been on his site, pointed it out to a friend beginning of the year, Im after the up armoured kit and bar armoured kit tp replicate the scimitars my regiment used in Iraq and i used on Herrick 5. Ive been following your builds on the FB site too, nice CR1 and WR you got going on

Thanks Neil, the builds are going well, just a bit left to do on the Scimitar and it is done (wing mirrors and some crew gear (Terry`s) and to touch up the paint on the camo net.

Anto

http://armorama.com/forums/214226
 _GOTOTOP