_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Panther G PE Fenders
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hola!!
Im now at a stage that I have to put on the PE fron fenders, this is my first time doing this. Cutting away the kit part was no problem, bending the metal was no problem, well, but there is the "lip" of the fender, that you bend and my question is how do you glue/attatch the bent peice to the rest of the main frame of the fender??? Make sense?, I dont know what to say to describe it. Its a part on the main frame that you bend down at a 90º angle, its the semi round thing that goes on the inside of the fender, where the tow hook can be raised up. Im sorry that Im not so clear on this, its hard to explain something that I hav no clue about how to explain All I know is that I cant get he derned things to stick when I glue it. I use superglue with accelerator. So what you glue 90º bends in PE and how to get it to stay might be the question!?
Sorry for long and rambeling post!!
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:18 PM UTC
This is a good question, as I am planning on using PE fenders on a King Tiger. I'd like to see it answered.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC
One thing to do when you have a "stubborn" PE joint like this is to anneal the metal by heating it first in a candle. This makes the metal very workable and it should stay put pretty much on it's own.

The fender insert on a Panther should be a fairly straight ahead job. Are you using the Eduard, Aber, Royal Models sets? Or some other set? If annealling the metal does not help the part hold it's shape.

A stubborn joint can often be handled by adding a small strip of plastic or metal scrap behind the joint.

Simply attach the piece to one side using super glue.

Let it dry in a small clamp without using the accelerator. (The accelerator may actually be weakening the resulting bond)

Then hold the piece together and apply the CA to the back of the joint.

It's important to keep the joint steady and allow a couple of very thin layers of CA to bond the two sides of the joint.

Later,
Tim
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hola Tim,
its the Aber set, and I'll try this heating meathod, sounds interesting!. Thanks for answers, I was thinkin about instead of putting a small peice of plastic behind the joint, id put some putty. Maybe that will work also. Thanks again!!
 _GOTOTOP