wants a german fuel /water tanker
bazers
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi guys
anyone know of a german fuel /water tanker resin or plastic been on net cant find one.
thanks.
hjholter3
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 01:13 PM UTC
Roden makes a 1/72 Opel Blitz - Also they produce the Daimler Blitz - Einheitsfahrerhaus ersatz cab - you'll need some stowage either way, and I suggest the Academy 1/72 "Light Vehicles of Allied & Axis During WWII" Kit as it includes ample stowage ( jerry cans, ammo boxes and drums ) which could represent fuel or water stowage. I couldn't find a seller for the kit in the links on the sidebar ( sorry boss ), but a search of eBay or Amazon should get you the kit - I got mine for 9.87 shipped off eBay with a Revell Panther G ( I love Braille Scale! )

A bit of history - during the conflict Germany used the blitz and other trucks to haul drums and Jerry cans of fuel rather than larger "tanker" trucks like you might see at an airfield - usually the trucks would carry water or fuel, but cans were marked - water cans had a white cross.

Image borrowed from Summer Vacation Militaria

You could easily build a set of Blitz trucks with the same stowage and different markings and be accurate.

Also, if you have some expertise casting resin you could make the Academy stowage go a long way - just food for thought.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions or concerns, let me know. ( I'm here all week )

PS: check this out Weapons and Warfare It's not all Blitz all the time, but it's interesting.
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hi herbert
thanks for your links when i posted fuel/water tanker what i need is a water type bowser ( i did not think there would be much diff betwen them as regard shape etc)
i am building a dio using armagedons armoured train and want to have a water tanker toping up the loco.
thanks again for you reply.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hello Bazers.

Sounds like an interesting idea to have a water truck.

I don't know of any dedicated water tank trucks in small scale for the Germans.

Academy makes an Opel fuel truck

http://henk.fox3000.com/Academy.htm

and MAC makes a different type of Opel fuel truck and a Mercedes fuel truck. You will find them in the link by scrolling down the page.

http://henk.fox3000.com/Mac.htm

PST makes two differing ZiS fuel trucks. Its well documented that the Germans used all captured trucks to make up their own shortfalls of motorised transport, so if basing your train in the east, a russian truck would not be out of place.

http://henk.fox3000.com/Pst.htm

Though all the above are fuel trucks, its not beyond the realms of reason that they could not be cleaned and used for carrying water, particularly non drinking water.

PST also make 4 different types of russian fire tanker of the same era (also in the above link). One of those could be ideal. These also would have been at the German's disposal in conquered Russian territory. Though I'd avoid the Studebaker - its not a very well cast truck.

As I'm sure you know rail infrastructure of that era provided water filling points, as almost all trains were coal and water fuelled in the WW2 era.

There is one photo of an armoured train taking water from a stream, via hoses and a pump.

cheers
Neil
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi niel
thanks for links did see the russian tanker and as you say the germans would have used anything they could get their hands on but wanted to paint it the same style
as your train .
i have sawodny book and there is a photo in it of a water point that i could use from a railway suplier but think it would be more interesting with a tanker.
am also thinking of coaling up by hand but would need a lot of buckets!.
if you know of anything else i could use for coaling be glad to here from you.

ps i am new to military modeling so i dont realy know what is out there in the kit line
thanks again.
bazer
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hi
Back in the times of steamtrains almost every train station had a so called "Wasserkran" to fill up water, basically it was just a L-shaped tube, stuck the wrong way round in the ground.
There was also a "Bekohlungsanlage" (some larger boxes with coal an a smaller crane)
Google both and you should get some nice pictures (if not add "Bahnhof" or "Eisenbahn" to your search)

I tried to do some research on field train stations, but came to no real results ... might be that there weren't that many....
bazers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:00 PM UTC
Hi Fabian
thanks for reply i will see what i can find out about the coaling stage,i think i am going to go with the russian fire engine it even has a hose spoole on the back.
 _GOTOTOP