_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
disc camo best way to paint?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 06:48 AM UTC
I would like to reproduce the late war German disc camo. Any suggestions on how to do this?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 09:50 AM UTC
The Ushi von der Rosten flexible masks to reproduce the disk schemes on Panthers:

Armorama::DML #6370 Panther Ausf. G with AM-Works PE

Armorama::PzKpfW V 'Panther' Ausf. G, Mid-Sep '44 Production

Other factory patterns can be replicated using the Alliance-Model Works PE stencils:

AM-Works 1/35 Scale Armor Painting Stencils

HTH,
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 10:03 AM UTC
Yep. I've used the Ushi masks and they're pretty good. Service from Ushi was top notch, they didn't charge me extra postage when I ordered 1:48 by mistake.

Just one criticism. I couldn't find a repeat pattern within the masks (perhaps it was there but I just couldn't see it). This made it hard to do a largish area, like the sides of a Panther turret. You know how wallpaper has a repeat pattern so you can seamlessly do a large area, well I couldn't find one in the Ushi masks.

Have fun!
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I couldn't find a repeat pattern within the masks (perhaps it was there but I just couldn't see it). This made it hard to do a largish area, like the sides of a Panther turret. You know how wallpaper has a repeat pattern so you can seamlessly do a large area, well I couldn't find one in the Ushi masks.

Have fun!

FWIW: I don't believe that the pattern was applied in a "seamless" manner. Those who insist that the pattern edges meet perfectly to create a "wallpaper-like" effect are, IMO incorrect. The amount of time and effort to create a perfect pattern like that does not make any sense from an industrial manufacturing point of view or would it have made the camouflage more effective.

(Note that the Daimler-Benz "spray-dot" pattern does not repeat. The dots are simply sprayed by the painter using his "eye" to judge the spacing, etc. If this somewhat haphazard method was adequate for them, then a less perfect method was surely acceptable for the other factories using masks.)

However, the disk patterns do repeat. This is clearly seen if the photos are closely examined. I think the explanation is actually quite simple.

In order to create a repeating pattern, all you need to do is cut the Ushi mask into a reasonable-sized 1/35-scale piece.

That is, the factory painters would not have used masks that were too large for them to handle easy. I assumed about 1.5 x 1 meter in scale was about as large a mask as could be easily handled by a painter's assistant while the painter sprayed through it.

Also, these masks were probably (again, IMO) fabricated on the spot out. My guess is the painter used three or four different-sized cans to draw the overlapping circles and then just cut out the little "butterflies" with a knife. If this was true, then the effort and time involved in cutting all that out suggests fairly small-sized masks as well as no effort to create a mask that would have edges that would match perfectly creating a "seamless" pattern across the entire tank.

So, I cut a piece of the Ushi mask to about that size and used the same piece to paint my entire Panther. Because I used the same mask over and over, I naturally got the repeating pattern.

I also assumed that the painters were concerned more with getting the job done in a timely manner, so when necessary, I allowed the mask to overlap slightly, or I turned it to fit the space, and I allowed the occasional but of over-spray along its edges.

Anyway, that's how I approached the repeating pattern issue using the Ushi mask.
 _GOTOTOP