_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
8 cm granatwerfer 1944
Danbellz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:34 PM UTC
hi all,

Just thought I would share my first ever build. 8cm mortar crew in a defensive position in the falaise pocket 1944.My painting is still not the best but I guess that will come with time.Any help on how I can improve for next time would be much appreciated!

Cheers Dan

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

smydi01
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:18 PM UTC
For a first model it is a great start. I wish my first had been that good.Love the use of the map on the base. The ground work and tree are good. Just a couple of things to point out Imho the rifles and smg look good but would be either on the crew or closer to them and the layout of there personal kit look a a wee bit parade like for that stage in the war. Then again what do I know the first Germans I did where to be waffen ss so I painted the uniforms black like the ss I had seen in movies.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 12:25 AM UTC
Love your scene layout man! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Just a few things to be retouch, such as the seam line on faustpatrone that still visible to be cleaned up. Also, you may apply variety of wooden color onto the tree's trunk and leaves, just do trial & error to produced your desired wooden and leave color, as I do for my first project... and still continue until now on mate .

Good luck and can't wait for your another completed project. Have a nice modeling time Dan!

Cheers

Garry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 10:24 AM UTC

Great start into the diorama world Dan!

I agree with comments above regarding placement of weapons. Not military! At least the NCO would carry his SMG on the body f.ex.

Terrain depression looks a little odd in proportions. If man-dug, it's too wide...and not really deep enough. If it's natural, there would be a disruption in the circumvallation.

Foam shreds are not ideal to depict foliage, not on trees...and not on helmets. Try to find real moss....it resembles the real thing...and costs nothing!!!

Anyway, you have a lot of potential m8! My first attempts were nowhere that good!

Good luck with your further projects!

Cheers

Romain
 _GOTOTOP